1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Darwin Award goes to ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jul 4, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The woman who chose to look over the top of an COMMERCIAL-GRADE FIREWORKS DISPLAY when they didn't go off.
    When they did, so did her face.

Feds to probe Melvindale fireworks death

Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

MELVINDALE -- Police said federal officials will investigate how commercial-grade fireworks were apparently obtained without a license for use in a display that turned deadly Monday night.

Danialle Barse, 27, died shortly after 10 p.m. when struck in the head by a large commercial firework explosive, fired from a 3-inch-wide mortar in the parking lot of the Outer Drive car wash where she worked.

Barse, who grew up in Melvindale and lived in Taylor, was the mother of three, including twin 2-year-old sons. Her 8-year-old son witnessed Monday's incident, police said.

The commercial firework device was a box of 25, 3-inch mortars, designed to go off in sequence as a multi-aerial bomb finale-type of display, said Melvindale Police Lt. Chad Hayse.

"Somebody lit it and it didn't go off immediately. She looked over the top of it and it went off," Hayse said.

Her friends and co-workers were unable to reach and help Barse until the display had completed its launch and firing. Hayse said the efforts were useless because the injuries were "catastrophic."

Barse was pronounced dead at Detroit Receiving Hospital, Hayse said.

Police said they believe Barse organized the fireworks display, using about $1,000 collected from co-workers at the Town Auto Wash, 24951 Outer Drive near Dix Highway, Hayse said.

Between 20 and 30 people had gathered for the display. Most of the fireworks were of the type legally available, but some, including the multi-explosive display, were commercial-grade available for sale only to professional, federally licensed fireworks display designers, Hayse said.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why is it when you see a story like this there is always some guy in a tank-top involved? I did think the family was pretty stand-up in talking to the press warning others about doing something similar.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Where the hell did they get fireworks like THAT?

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Nothing like putting on a fireworks display for a whopping crowd of 20 to 30 rednecks!

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I left my apartment a little while ago for some Turbo Dog, and before I got to my car a bottle rocket almost hit me in the face. Idiot kids in the parking lot.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Lotta rednecks in Detroit?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In Melvindale?
    couple miles away, they eat muskrat,,,,

8. One person closer to annihilation of the human race!

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shocked that a 27-year-old car wash employee has three kids. Enough money for professional grade fireworks but not contraceptives.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

There's a lot of rednecks everywhere.

This is just thinning the herd people.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Normally, in cases like this, I agree with the ridicule and the award. But this lady's kid saw the accident. Somehow, I can't muster the same ridicule this time.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit, I laughed when I read it, but only because I always picture things like that like a Bugs Bunny or Road Runner cartoon...

A couple of years ago, I found a really funny story about someone dying as the result of stupidity--I can't remember how the guy killed himself--and I forwarded it to a bunch of people I worked with, with subject line of "Early candidate for this year's Darwin Award." One woman got really pissed off and sent me a nasty e-mail... It turned out a childhood friend of hers had died in some stupid way and had made some "Darwin Award" stories and the family had really suffered. It didn't make me stop laughing at stories like this--they are just too funny and these are strangers to me--but every time I read one now, I also think about a family with a dead relative somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted