1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This children is why we don't inject ourselves into features

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doogie448, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

It seems the issue is with the Company X/Company Z bit, which is actually kind of comical and Layden seems to make fun of.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Here's doogie planning his next post:

[​IMG]

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This is a very good story. (As the former Olympic editor as a Very Large Newspaper, I think I have the background to say that.)

It accomplishes exactly what it set out to do, to explain the photo finish question in plain English.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

OK, I'll at least read the story before I shit on doogie. Back in a few.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tim Layden has more Sports Illustrated cover stories than anyone the past five years.

I don't even know why I'm still processing how someone on a message board such as this one could say they've never heard of him.

Stay trollin'.

6. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

OK, my 2 cents, or whatever less it's worth: I agree with doogie in that the "I's" could have been avoided. That said, I'm of the opinion that didn't make him part of the story. And, I still liked the story very much.

The companies should have been named. Not naming them but saying, "If you Google this, you'll find the names" didn't make the story any better, which is what editing still is supposed to do, the current style of 99.9 percent of all Web sites notwithstanding.

And that's all I can see: Good story, behind-the-scenes look, lacked editing, still damn good. Good night.

7. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Also ... this is a column. Folks may not like first person but it's surely a part of the rules of the game, especially in the capable hands of Tim Layden.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Say, how about some commas in that headline? Thanks. :-X

9. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

And this is one nice example of why blanket rules are never absolute. They're often good guidelines, but if you're good enough, you can work past them. The first word of this story is "I," and it's pretty excellent.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-05-04/magazine/tm-55180_1_bob-satterfield

10. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Huh? I saw all kinds of children in that feature. They are the exact reason why I will never inject myself into a feature.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Read it. liked it. Good story. why anyone would even take the time to start this thread to do anything except praise Tim Layden for giving us a good behind-the-scenes explanation for what happened I have no idea.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Largesse. Not largess.

Draft saved Draft deleted