1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This children is why we don't inject ourselves into features

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doogie448, Jun 27, 2012.

1. doogie448

doogie448 Member

Full disclosure: I had never heard of Tim Layden before this article.

I would have kicked this back to him when I was in college, I'm surprised SI allowed it. He has a good story to tell here without making himself part of it. As I read this I kept thinking: Get off my story!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/2012/writers/tim_layden/06/26/track-field-photo-finish-felix-tarmoh/index.html#ixzz1z2Jtp9Uy

By interjecting himself he raises more questions than answers. Why don't the two companies want their names listed? Why do I have to Google the main characters and do the writer's leg work? Why does his observation bring any more credibility to Roger Jennings?

Tell me the story, and if you edit out the the I's and parentheses, you have a good story there.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ironically, I was on an investment banking message board just the other day where I noted I had never heard of Warren Buffet but couldn't believe some of the crazy investments he made.

Oh, and doogie, here are some extra commas ,,,,, Go ahead an sprinkle them in your headline.

3. doogie448

doogie448 Member

How about you sprinkle some silence on your smart-ass responses? If you don't want to have a grown-up discussion don't reply.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

How about you learn to punctuate if you're going to post on a journalism board and purport to be grown up about it?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If this is the first you've heard of Tim Layden, you've lost all credibility with me before we even begin.

6. doogie448

doogie448 Member

Fine. I'm an idiot. Moderator on duty, please shut this thread down and remove it.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK.

In an item where you complain about the writer injecting himself in the story, you have 9 I's, me's or my's.

If you want to comment on the way a story is written, why not do it without injecting yourself into the discussion?

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

^^^ This, definitely, Mr. Sprinkle.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Layden mentioned why he didn't name the companies.

10. writingump

writingump Member

I disagree with Doogie's criticism of Layden's article. I don't think he injected himself into the column that often. I think it gave the person who only casually follows track and field (such as myself and most sports fans) a solid glimpse into why it was ruled a dead heat, as well as a nice history lesson in the sport. I, too, am shocked he'd never heard of Layden until now.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And hurry before he takes his ball and goes home!

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Is the OP complaining about the asides? I don't see that much injection of the writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted