1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This certainly took long enough

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've read quite a bit on it and regardless of the innocence project, there were plenty of other facts that pointed toward him. but of course he was able to save his precious car from being burned.

2. Which, of course, isn't actually what happened.

3. And I find that kind of "satisfaction" repugnant.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The DP's always tough. My lefty leanings and my Catholicism both say it's wrong and, of course, we've all seen the stories of guys on death row that college kids and DNA tests have exonerated. Still, I see cases like this...

... and I think that if there's no question of the crime, such as this, it's time to put the fucker down. It's not a revenge thing, it's not a punishment thing, it's a preventative thing. One of the basic rights we have is life and when some dirtbag or deranged asshole steps way over that line, in my mind they'd likely not have a problem doing it again. Time to ensure they don't get the chance. IMHO, they'd forfeited their right to live.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't care either way if there was a debate, though I knew it was coming.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

A pretty good dissection of the Cameron Todd Willingham case from The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann?currentPage=1

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How about he gets candy and cookies and a big-screen TV instead?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Get off your fucking high horse.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I've got your back on this oop. Can't fault someone close to a victim feeling satisfaction. As a policy, I support the death penalty as a means to remove dangerous criminals from society, permanently, not as a means for revenge.

I feel it should be limited to 100 percent certainty. Also can't fault those who oppose the death penalty on the basis of civility. That's a solid point. Definitely respect it.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

This from the guy who finds the idea of respecting each others' opinions funny. What a surprise.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do you respect Fred Phelps' opinions?

12. I was just explaining why I felt equally compelled to put my two cents in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.