1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This certainly took long enough

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How long did it take Texas to execute the accused arsonist? They still didn't get it right.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What does that have to do with anything? OOP was not on the jury for this case. He's stating his thoughts based on human emotion, and I can understand that. Again, not everything is black and white, and not everything boils down to right and wrong. I get sick and tired of people trying to take reality out of the debate over serious issues.

3. I don't understand what you mean. You challenged people to honestly say they wouldn't feel differently if a loved one was murdered. I told you that is irrelevant to the policy argument.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say my entire opinion on this is based on emotion, either. I'm just admitting that it is a factor in this case and in my overall opinion of the subject.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's not necessary to turn every execution into an opportunity to debate the merits of the death penalty.

Sometimes, people just want to express satisfaction that a particularly odious individual is being sent to meet their maker.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup, but I knew it was coming.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm pretty sure if someone I knew was murdered, I'd want the perpetrator to disappear into the prison system and never be heard from again, rather than make headlines all over again a decade after the original crime.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If I were murdered, I would not want my killer to be executed. It wouldn't help me a bit. I'd still be dead and as far as I know it would have no bearing on where I spend eternity.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yes they did

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not according to, you know, the facts. And the standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

According to the governor, sure.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you didn't want debate, oop, then why didn't you just put your original post on the letters thread?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

This individual should have been put to death long ago.
    Get it over with. He has exhausted all his options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.