1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Bill Simmons column was brought to you by Sore Winners Inc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 9, 2007.

1. That's kind of narrow, isn't it?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think his demographic is 30-something, white, college educated and have about 3-4 Smiths CDs in their collection.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You better know how to write if you're doing something that's 3,000 words plus long.

What a piece of dreck.

Isn't Bill way past his best-before date?

I thought he was funny when I first read him. Now he's just like my annoying Uncle Charlie who shows up at Thanksgiving dinner, drinks way too much and tells the same stories over and over and over again.

And it's not a generational thing. Unfunny is unfunny.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was at the RCA Dome on Sunday, I saw the game with my own eyes, Tom Brady himself complimented me on my $60 Eddie Bauer button-down, but please, correct me if I'm wrong ...

THE PATRIOTS WON THE FUCKING GAME, RIGHT?

What is all this bitching coming from the Pats fans all about?

To put this in terms Simmons would understand, you are a Brainy Smurf poseur, bitching when there's no reason to. You're this close to getting booted out of Smurf village and you will never score with Smurfette ... ever.

Nah. I'm happy with the Packers receiving corps. Driver, Jones and Jennings have done just fine, and all but Driver are far younger than Moss.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am lukewarm on him. I've heard mixed stuff about his Herald and Phoenix stints, too.

6. 93Devil

Yes, it is narrow.

I think that was gave him his initial buzz.

Do you know how often I hear old REM, Smiths or like groups on the radio? Or read writers that grew up watching MGN, WOR and TBS and reference the Tree Rollins Hawks or the Pat Cummings Knicks? When I do hear it, I am immediately attracted.

That is his market, and I am in it.

7. I didn't know he was at the Phoenix.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You just count the sentences until his first Karate Kid reference.

And then you add it to the other 325 times he's made it.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well that leaves me 2-3 CD's short (and too old, but never mind that).

And I have zero interest in even opening his article to see if it's the train wreck some on here claim.

Same old story, same old song and dance, my friend.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm in that market too, but I find it to be one-note after the one-millionth Daniel-san reference. Just because I owned Quiet Riot's Metal Health and watched MTV non-stop in the mid 80s doesn't mean I want to be beaten over the head with nostalgia. It's stale.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He was on contract to write a piece for them on a team that had won a couple consecutive state championships, a follow-the-team type thing, then he said the Phoenix pulled the rug out from under him after an editor change.

12. 93Devil

True.

That's why I like it when he starts writing about current movies or TV shows. I at least know that the two of us have similar taste.

The Boston stuff I just cannot handle anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted