1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Bill Simmons column was brought to you by Sore Winners Inc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 9, 2007.

1. IU90

IU90 Member

No shit. A 90 yard TD nullified by a whistle that never should've happened, blown interference calls, not to mention the procedural call at the end on a shift that was actually quite legal. Simmons' conspiracy watch would be on Def Con 9 if that had been the Patriots tonight.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

How was the shift legal? Honestly, I'm not clear on the rule. Three men moved at once, two of them on the o-line. I figured that was illegal, but what is the actual rule there?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They have to be set before the ball is snapped. It was not a penalty

4. IU90

IU90 Member

As I understand, as long as they're re-set for at least a second before the snap, that's a legal shift. The ref jumped the gun by blowing the whistle the instant he saw movement, making it twice in the game the officials screwed up with a premature whistle (wonder if it was the same guy).

But, oddly, the actual call was not an illegal shift, but instead something like "simulating the snap", I can only guess because the ref felt the tight end shifted out of his stance too abruptly to draw em offsides (which, of course, was his intent, but not illegal as far as I know).

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

A minute to go, Hall of Fame kicker lines up a 29-yard field goal to take the lead . . . I like those odds if I'm a Colts fan.

No single call blew the game as much as Vinatieri's shank.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fuck that fucker, missing two kicks. Fuck him, and the contract he rode in on. [/bitterColtsfangirl]

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yes

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have a body for print.

BS has a voice for print.

We do the best we can, and move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted