1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Bill Simmons column was brought to you by Sore Winners Inc.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/071109&sportCat=nfl

It's a conspiracy the Pats didn't win by 20! The cheating was blatant! The league wants to punish them for their arrogance! The Patriots are Tony Soprano! You hate to love them! They're giving everyone a giant middle finger! I have an erection just watching, it's lasted at least four hours, and I'm not calling a doctor!

I know this is just more flogging of one of SportsJournalists.com's favorite horses, but oy what a bad column. Beginning with the VICTORY analogy, which reads like it came from the Simmons Column Generator 4000. I can't imagine what it will be like to watch him go bitchcakes if the Pats actually lose.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Some of his stuff is funny, but as soon as I read Sox, Celtics or Patriots a couple times, I move on to something else.

He has a great gig, but I honestly thing he is undermining himself by narrowing his focus to one city.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As an unabashed Patriots fan, I just want to tell Simmons to please, please, shut up about the game. I mean they won, didn't they? So yeah, there were some questionable calls, we get it. Just shut up.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your intro to this thread was a lot more entertaining than the column. Someone needs to tell Simmons that 95 percent of the country doesn't give a shit, and likely tunes out, when he goes uber fanboy and writes about Boston. Never mind, I forgot. ESPN is spineless when it comes to their golden goose.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The Ewing Theory is his main contribution to society.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Actually, after reading Montville's book, shouldn't it be called the Ted Williams Theory?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get through the second graf....are the Nazis supposed to be the Pats or the Colts?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

fanboi

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I normally don't mind Bill's work, I just personally think he's a giant douche. But this column was rancid. Even by fanboi standards. I missed the part where the NFL forced Tom Brady to throw two interceptions. It's funny how he says "You can't say anything about the Colts not having Marvin Harrison unless you bring up last year, when the Pats had a lot of guys out with injuries" but he apparently has no problem claiming that all the calls where going Indy's way without referencing the AFC championship game two years ago when the Pats were violating the Colts' receivers on every play, such a giant abuse of the rules that enforcing contact after five yards had to be addressed by the competition committee the following year.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Some of his stuff is really funny, especially when he answers e-mails and chats, but I didn't care for this piece. Even though, after re-watching the game a few times, he makes some valid points about the ridiculously questionable and shoddy officiating.

11. unreadable like almost all his boston centric stuff. he was a lot more interesting when he didn't have to constantly justify why, after years of being the underdog, it's now ok to root for teams with massive payrolls and dickhead coaches who run up the score on bad teams to strike fear in the hearts of the good ones...

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That piece was awful. I couldn't even get a third of the way through it.

Draft saved Draft deleted