1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This bailout plan is the worst thing we could have done

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was too mesmerized by the use of "kleptocracy" to really take in the rest of the post.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Poin, if we really believe that - and I'm not saying I don't...I guess I'm still grasping for hope - then I'm curious. Do you, like I, have offspring? Do we care enough about them to plan on relocating to another country?

Or, with the way America's assets are now a factor in the economies of other nations, are they in as much trouble? The trickle-down effect, in my opinion, will be the penalty for letting greed and incompetence run rampant for decades and there will be nowhere to go, short of a "Survivor" Exile Island.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Good thing I nixed "rapine" then, which appeared in the second draft of the post, but got cut in the top edit.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My over/under year for the Chinese takeover is . . . ummm . . . 2027.

Once this stuff gathers momentum, things tend to happen very, very quickly.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it were sooner.

Thanks for everything, Fredo.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This largely doesn't happen if the cronies of the powers in power don't essentially
    game the system based on the old, reliable "too big to fail" crutch. So long as
    that excuse remains in play, it's open season for all of Cheney's shotgun pals.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm teaching them Mandarin.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

20 years ago we were going to be owned by Japan by 2008.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not with Japan essentially being without a standing army, we weren't.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm sure you were saying that then too.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How much of our $10 trillion debt is owned by the Chinese?

The Sauds?

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Hey, I used kleptocracy in an earlier post! Where's my love?

JG, this is dead-on. What transpired during these eight years will eventually make the Fisk/Gould/Credit Mobilier shenanigans during the Grant Administration and the Teapot Dome escapades of Warren Harding, Harry Daugherty and Co. look like an eighth-grade ASB ballot stuffing.

Once again, you can thank deregulation for all of it -- and Bill Clinton deserves his share of taint for signing the repeal of Glass-Steagall.

Ragu, your eloquent defense of free markets fails to take into account the fact that unfettered, unregulated free markets are a pipe dream that lead to Gilded Age corruption or banana-republic status because humans can't be trusted to act in anything but their own self interest.

We're seeing that born out in vivid, red-tinged color.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are looking into the financial firms and the insurance companies, not the lenders. It's just grandstanding, because everyone loves a scapegoat.

They probably are not going to find much. I can't say whether anyone did anything illegal. Maybe there were some illegal activities. Dig anywhere and you will find people cheating. But it's highly unlikely they will find anything illegal that relates to the losses we are seeing, because these financial services companies didn't have to do anything illegal. It was perfectly legal to leverage yourself to 50 times your worth and invest in derivatives and swaps. In fact, they spelled out what they were doing every time they filed with the SEC and no one cared until a few months ago. Stupidity isn't illegal. Neither is losing money. They should have to take their losses. But losing money through poor investment judgment isn't a jailable offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted