1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This AP/ESPN story on Adam Jones' latest incident

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Oct 9, 2008.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The lead cites Dallas police as saying Jones got into a "fight." The only subsequent comment from the cops refers to a "verbal" argument. Am I missing something? Should the story be more specific by quoting the cops as saying there was a physical altercation? Or am I being too picky here?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3633432

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And it was with his own security guard.

3. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I read the story late last night and thought the same thing you did. It came across as though the writer wrote the story with a "Pacman fucked up again" attitude. That's fine for a message board, but a story shouldn't reflect that opinion.

And what is this sentence about? "Chief Golbeck told the News he thought Jones was staying at the hotel and may have been drinking."

Como? There's just as good a chance that he wasn't staying at the hotel and wasn't drinking, so why include that information? Sure, Jones has screwed up plenty of times, but this seems like a non-story. No charges, no police report.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wonder if Pacman may end up with a good case for a defamation suit at the end of the day. Probably not, but a lot of people seem to be talking out of school on this one.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It could be argued he is no longer capable of being defamed.

Draft saved Draft deleted