1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This American Life on Harper High School in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 20, 2013.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How about "proper grammar, usage and pronunciation" ?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess the real question is if the principle is getting results. Do we have any metrics for Harper HS? What are graduation rates? Standardized test scores? % of students that go on to 4 year colleges? Property values?

This reminds me a bit of when the Oakland school board added ebonics to their curriculum. The thinking was that using African American dialect was a bridge to teaching English.

What happens in schools that are predominantly Spanish speaking. Do the teachers speak in Spanish?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Grammar changes and evolves. A few years ago, folks would have had a fit if you used "party" as a verb. Now it's a verb more often than a noun.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are going to cut and paste off Newsmax, you should credit them, Boom.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And in a few years, maybe the principal will be correct if he speaks that way.

Doesn't give him license to be wrong, today, however.

Just an extension of the "nothing is ever incorrect --- it's just alternate" world we've come to embrace.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

People who speak in a Boston accent sound stupid to me. Does that make them wrong?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depends on the district I suppose but around here, yes. Teachers teach in both English and Spanish. Or English and Mandarin.

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

WTF is wrong with expecting our educators to use proper English? They are supposed to be teaching their students the proper way to speak, write, add, subtract, etc.

This is an insane discussion. If the principal wants to be "down with the homies," maybe she should quit and get a job more suitable to her patterns of speech.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Whitest post ever.

11. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

I can go whiter...just try me!

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Define "proper English." Standard English?

Do white Southern principals ever greet an assembly of students using the phrase "y'all?"

Is that "standard English?" If not, why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted