1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This American Life on Harper High School in Chicago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Feb 20, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

TAL followed the teachers and students around. 29 students or former students had been shot in a very short period of time. Tragic. (none on campus).

But this post isn't about gun violence.

The program starts with the assembly for the students on the first day of class in September. The principal addresses the students in the gym: "Freshman, where YOU at?" Class of 2013, where YOU at?"

What do you think about that kind of grammar from a high school principal? I've gone back and forth with that one, she's just giving a shout-out. But when she repeatedly says "aks", instead of "ask", I have to think... Is that really acceptable speech from a high school principal?

What does SportsJournalists.com think?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The last thing the principal wants is to be mocked as too white. Gotta keep it real.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think any adult who pronounces "ask" as "aks" needs to have the shit slapped out of them in public and should be summarily fired if they work in education.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

#WhitePeopleProblems

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

An authority figure who works in education shouldn't be dumbing down their message in speaking to students. That's ultimately beneficial to exactly zero percent of the audience.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know you realize that having prominent figures kids can and should look up to acting as if they were teenagers causes problems only for those kids, but I guess as long as they grow up to vote correctly, who cares if they learn anything in school.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

And I know you realize I find it hard to believe any of you actually gives a shit about this particular school or the principal.

But, you know, politics and such. That's so clever.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

How about a president who can't correctly pronounce the word 'nuclear?'

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wow, this devolved into politics really fast.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm surprised it took so long.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I should have divined that your mockery of the situation was genuine, heartfelt caring.

TINMHITTMAL

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted