1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ain't Athens no more: Wrestling gone from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Wait wait wait wait. Figure skating = OK; Wrestling = not?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tell that to Larry Lester. Poor bastard got his hairy buns taped together and the shit beaten out of him.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even then, I don't see it being dropped. Yes, it's an enormous flustercluck here in the US and the way the team for London was put together was an absolute joke, like making the Niners and Ravens, after winning the conference titles, beat Kansas City or Detroit just to make sure they are worthy. Plus, with the turnover from each Olympiad, US boxers aren't prepared for international scoring like those in other nations, who fight in a couple of Olympics before hanging up the gloves. And, let's be realistically, ultimately its a farm club for the likes of Golden Boy, Top Rank and Don King. But after all the problems in Seoul, boxing did adapt, and the IOC is giving them props for that.

Now, to raise ratings in the USA, may I suggest adding Texas Hold-em and competitive cheerleading (yes, i know, i know ...)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Dan Wetzel knock one out of the park. Again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--ioc-s-poor-decision-to-add-golf-costs-wrestling-its-spot-in-olympics-201325406.html

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How about tug-of-war?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How about no!

Women's tug-of-war participants more closely resemble shot putters than gymnasts.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's been a long, long time since I covered HS wrestling, but I sure remember those wrestlers being about the most arrogant kids I ever had to deal with. Especially the little ones.

And the coaches were a pain in the rear, too.

8. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

People will still compete in the sport at lower levels no matter what happens, but without an Olympic presence, interest might wane over the next two or three decades, some schools might drop the sport (my own high school did for close to two years because of lower numbers) and some state associations might no longer sanction it as a varsity sport. Will all that happen in our lifetimes? Probably not. But it could happen, a long row of dominos, a slow burn. That's what worries me.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Mike and Mike said something similar this morning, and I am in total agreement with it. If the Olympic gold medal is not the pinnacle of a sport, that sport has no business being in the Olympics. Does the gold medal top the green jacket in golf? No. Wimbledon in tennis? No. The World Series in baseball? You get the point.

Still cannot believe they would even consider dropping wrestling.

Someone had better watch out for lightning. Zeus is going to be pissed.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

A statistically minded chap who posts on the F4W Forums under the username Mookieghana came up with the post below, all the credit goes to him. I thought that it was a very interesting.

http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156628&start=100#p4378151

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This represents the IOC tilt towards Asia, Africa and Latin America. Wushu probably will get in as a sport. More medals for China. The IOC probably figures China's TV money will outweigh NBC in a few years, and as long as there's swimming and women's gymnastics, some US network will overpay.

Draft saved Draft deleted