1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ain't Athens no more: Wrestling gone from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Took them long enough to get around to adding golf!

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

You ever get on the mat, Mark? Or is your distaste only from observation and bunk?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No. My high school didn't have wrestling ---- not sure how many did back in those days. And mixing it up and rubbing genitals with another dude wasn't exactly my idea of a good time.

I remember several years ago our newspaper ran a wrestling photo of one wrestler who appeared to be in some sort of a choke hold. Got a call the next day from a sweet little old lady, who asked: "The boy you ran in the photo this morning, did he die?" I responded "No, ma'am, he just lost the bout. But he's fine and back in class today."

I understand that different sports appeal to different people. Wrestling just isn't my cup of tea.

4. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Hopefully the Iron Sheik finds out and takes his rage to Twitter.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You doth protest too much

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And DDTs.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And instead of these old bald-headed coaches, let them be advised by scantily-clad women.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it grows on you if you watch and both competitors always have a shot so it's not dull.

One thing about it, too. It's one of those sports where anyone can compete. Don't need a big team or federation behind you.

It seems like such a natural Olympic sport, that it's mind-boggling that they would can it.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why not boxing?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And allow run-ins.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If there's one sport that has the bribing process down to a science, it's boxing. There was no way the AIBA was going to be out-bribed on this.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

They'll take wrestling out but leave boxing, in the shape it was at London.

Good God.

Draft saved Draft deleted