1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ain't Athens no more: Wrestling gone from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That is probably true as bad as this decision looks.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Money talks. The 2022 World Cup is in Qatar.

This really sucks.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What the IOC means to say is that it's not one of the core sports that will help us make more money.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Exactly. That's why this is driven by NBC. Wrestling is a sport that doesn't put viewers in front of their screens and Americans are not prominent. USA Men won 3 medals (2G 1B) in freestyle, none in Greco and the American Women took 1 Bronze.

NBC has doesn't want to televise that and in turn the host city doesn't want the cost associated with a sport from 71 countries and 72 possible medals.

Anyone hear from Mr. Integrity, Bob Costas?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If they're worried about its TV appeal, they can always legalize chairshots.

6. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

This just sucks. Wrestling truly is an incredible sport. Maybe the most well-rounded of all the athletes I've been around when it comes to speed, power and flexibility.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

It's strange because damn near everything you could imagine IS in the Summer Olympics, and further, plenty of that is not TV friendly. Crew, sailing, equestrian, archery, judo, modern pentathlon ... I'm sure there are dozens more. Those all seem to barely get any mention on TV, and some get no mention at all. No doubt, some have big money backers, but why would NBC nix wrestling and be OK with those others?

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Maybe too many IOC members said to themselves, "I'll just say wrestling's out because no one else will and it will be safe."
    Oops.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thank goodness. Maybe the trickle down effect will be high school and university programs dropping it, too. I hate that sport.

10. slc10

slc10 Member

This the IOC guys! Idiots Of Competition (I couldn't come up with something else). Choose your own. Bottom line these guys are twits and that is sometghing that has happened since 1896.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but look at the sports that remain.

Maybe a 120-pound high school sophomore can try sailing to generate camaraderie and feel good about himself.

Whatever works for you, Mark.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good. More airtime for the true athletes, like rhythmic gymnasts.

Draft saved Draft deleted