1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This ain't Athens no more: Wrestling gone from Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 12, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/ioc-drops-wrestling-2020-olympics-111816483--oly.html

They'll have it in 2016, then it disappears in 2020. The IOC says it isn't one of the 25 "core sports." WTF? What sport is more core to the Olympics than wrestling? Modern pentathlon, field hockey and taekwondo. Those are the more core sports and the ones that were apparently kept instead.

The final vote was conducted by secret ballot, which always leads to fun with the IOC.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is pitiful.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's just wrong.

4. Alexander Karelin is not gonna be happy.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Wow, one of the original Olympic sports. This is an awful decision. I hope they reconsider before 2020.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Does Kurt Angle have to choke a bitch?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, wrestling seems like one of the sports best suited for the Olympics and one of the few that would bridge the ancient and modern Olympics.

Guess it doesn't have a strong enough lobby.

What a bunch of maroons.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Horrible beyond words. Who would have thought that international taekwondo associations had that much money to spend on bribes?

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Close ... they didn't offer enough in bribes to the members of the IOC board ... :)

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Dan Gable is going to whip someone.

11. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The closest comparison I can make right now to this awful and ridiculous situation is New Coke: The thing never even really seemed like a good idea when we learned about and everybody complained and, sooner rather than later, the numbnuts with the power figured out they were wrong and made right.

If the 2020 Olympics have no wrestling, I won't watch, and I imagine a lot of people will take a similar tack. (I was on the road for all of the Olympics last summer and caught probably 10 hours here and there with friends along the way. I missed it some, but I learned it's very easy to live without the schmaltzy TV storytelling and production.) That said, I don't think there's any way this holds up. There'll be wrestling in seven years.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A lot of wrestling fans might tune out. But 99-percent of viewers won't care.

Draft saved Draft deleted