1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirty Years Ago Today, We Lost One Of The Epic Entertainment Giants . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ben_Hecht, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I used some of the lesser-known good lines. I'll sit back a while and let some of the most famous old chestnuts get rolled out . . .

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I was gonna get a flat bottom but the girl at the boat house didn't have one.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Swordfish.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Groucho: I wanna register a complaint.

Captain: Why, what's the matter?

Groucho: Matter enough. D'you know who sneaked into my stateroom at three o'clock this morning?

Captain: Who did that?

Groucho: Nobody. And that's my complaint. (pause) I'm young. I want gaiety, laughter, ha-cha-cha. I wanna dance! (sings) I wanna dance 'til the cows come home!

Captain: Just what do you mean by this?!

Groucho: (ignoring the Captain) Another thing...I don't care for the way you're running this boat. Why don't you get in the back seat for a while and let your wife drive?

Captain: I want you to know that I've been Captain of this ship for twenty-two years.

Groucho: Twenty-two years, eh? If you were a man, you'd go in business for yourself. I know a fellow started only last year with just a canoe...now he's got more women than you can shake a stick at...if that's your idea of a good time.

Captain: One more word out of you, and I'll throw you in irons!

Groucho: You can't do it with irons; it's a mashie shot. It's a mashie shot if the wind is against you, and if the wind isn't I am. And how about those barrels down below?

Captain: Barrels?

Groucho: Yeah, I wouldn't put a pig in one of those barrels.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

8. Ciccolini may look like an idiot and he may sound like an idiot but don't be mistaken, he is an idiot.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I married your mother because I wanted children. Imagine my disappointment when you arrived.

10. The struggle of class versus class is a political struggle.
    Oops, sorry. Wrong Marx.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I could dance with you until the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home.

12. If I were you I'd go out into the lobbby until this blows over.

Draft saved Draft deleted