1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirty years ago today, Mount St. Helen blew her top

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And 57 people died.

http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2010/05/mount-st-helens-30-years.html
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011892909_apwamountsthelens.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is a really good story in this month's National Geographic that looks at what has happened to the area around Mount St. Helens over the last 30 years.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When we first got HBO, they constantly played the movie with Art Carney about Mount St. Helen's. It terrified me as a kid, especially the narration at the end which is something like, "Scientists say Mount St. Helen's could explode again at anytime."

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I was 5 and we lived in Eastern Washington when it blew. Being that dark at 3 in the afternoon was pretty odd. I do remember everyone having to clean up tons of wheelbarrows full of ash. We dumped tons of that stuff, and I still have a little souvenir container of it.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I hitchhiked through the state that summer. Standing on the side of the road I was up to my ankles in ashes ... and I'm guessing it was at least an hour's drive away. It was like God decided to put out his cigar.

o-<

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could've sworn I saw coverage of this on CNN as a kid, but I'm told CNN didn't go on the air until two weeks later.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If you ever have the chance to see it, go see it. I went about 10 years ago, and it was amazing the destruction that still exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted