1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirteen Years ago today...October 23, 1993

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I actually called the pitch and then hung my head in shame. I remember it all clearly. I was cheering for the Phillies as well (at the time it was still anybody but Toronto, probably the only guy in Canada at the time cheering against the Jays).

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Further proof that Beef should be extradited.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

To where? You assume WE want him?

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Arkansas would be fine.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Yes, Carter was a horrible colour guy.

But Fregosi got a raw deal in Toronto. He was a last minute hire, but was the last manager to leave Toronto with a plus-.500 record. I think he only got fired because Godfrey thought Manager Buck Martinez would have a nice ring to it as far as the fans were concerned. That and the fact that he probably didn't hesitate to tell Godfrey what he thought of him.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sea,
    The only impression I got of Fregosi was his media one. He struck me as a big time "I know more about baseball than anyone in this city" kinda guy. Just a tad condescending.

Old school, for sure. But he always rubbed me the wrong way.

7. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Member

Minutes after Carter hit that home run, Chris Farley walked on the set of Kevin Nealon's SNL "weekend update" dressed as John Kruk.

Farley says, "What happened in the game?"

Nealon: "You lost."

Farley (shaking his head): "Shoulda been there."

Great stuff.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

They played that call at Tom's funeral. He meant much, much more to the Jays than that one call, but it's still a nice way to remember him.

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

The best call of that was me in my car.
    I was on a date and had it on the radio as we were driving to a restaurant or movie, can't remember which. I told the girl I was with, "He's going to hit a home run to win it."
    Next pitch, gone.
    She turns to me and says, "Was that a replay? How did you know that would happen?"

I was also right about the girl. She's my wife now.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Montreal Expos, best team in baseball, 1994

Draft saved Draft deleted