1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirteen Days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just started watching it on TNT. While I like the movie, it's not without its problems (i.e. Costner's over-the-top Bahhhhstin accent). But I just realized that Bruce Greenwood, who played JFK, looks more like Dan Patrick than the former president.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I have no idea how historically accurate it is, but I was really surprised by that movie. Added it to my DVD collection soon after.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's pretty much an accurate representation of the missile crisis.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

It's very accurate to my knowledge. I really enjoyed the movie. Great insight into the crisis, and very entertaining too. The portrayal of McNamara is probably my favorite part of it.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Caught a little of it, seen it before, but the thing that struck me is how a movie like this would be made of the Bush Administration. Seeing Woodward on 60 Minutes tonight and hearing what he had to say was somewhat alarming.

6. It's very accurate, save for the fact that the Costner character didn't exist in real life.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not quite. Kenny O'Donnell did exist, but his role in the crisis was beefed up for artistic reasons.

Love this flick, especially how they showed what an asshole LeMay was. As much credit as he's given for setting up SAC, everything I've read about him is unanimous in the opinion that he was an unmitigated ass. Favorite moment in the flick is when he gets into a heated discussion with Greenwood as JFK, and in pressing his point starts to walk up behind the president, but O'Donnell cuts him off. Greenwood turns around, and his eyes just flicker at O'Donnell, seeing that he moved into LeMay's path, and seemingly understands everything that just happened behind him. Just an eye flicker, no other response. Conversation continues without pause, as if nothing happened. So understated, but awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and while Greenwood was a stretch as JFK, huge, huge props to Stephen Culp as RFK. Just Erie how spot-on he was. Was the second time for him playing Bobby, and I don't think anyone will ever even come close to his performance. His "I'm not so ruthless" is just supreme.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I like the moment when JFK winces from back pain as he gets up from the rocking chair. Again, a non-spoken, but accurate, moment.

And, of course, the part of the pilot who says he was not shot at was played by JFK's nephew, Christopher Lawford.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

OMFG! Never knew who the actor was! Outstanding. Another reason to love this flick.

Draft saved Draft deleted