1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinning the high school herd

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Nov 22, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On nights like tonight, with just 8 or so of our 45-plus high school football teams still playing, I marvel at how well things go. It was almost, but not quite, fun.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. I had time to look at stories, not panic at the extra stuff like top players and still had time to write two stories and do capsules while working desk...
    As a buddy used to say at this time of year "X down and Y to go...."

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes. We are down to a manageable six teams. There is nothing better than that.

Tonight was easy compared to the last two weeks when we had 20-plus teams in the playoffs. Thankfully, most of them aren't as good as the rest of the state.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Do you guys not have basketball overlapping right now?

Six or eight football games is good, but toss in 15-25 hoops reports and it's inching back to Crazyville.

5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

We have a bell in the office and ring it every time a team gets eliminated by a team not from our area. It's nice.

6. accguy

accguy Member

At one of my earlier stops, when you went to cover a playoff game between an area team and a non-area team, we joked that you didn't do your job if you couldn't get the local team eliminated.

We would call in scores immediately on the way back to the office and the first question from the SE was always, "So, did you do your job?"

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We always said, "Bring back a loser!" to departing writers.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Love that.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised by how many states don't have overlapping seasons. Kansas basketball teams couldn't even begin practicing until last Monday and can't play any games until Dec. 4.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

We dropped our last team last night. It was glorious.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Playoffs? Playoffs? [/Jim Mora]

12. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I think having 1-2 teams left now is the best scenario. You can make it dominant, not worry about people bitching, etc. Though, there will always be a feeling of relief when the last one falls.

Draft saved Draft deleted