1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of buying a hybrid -- discuss

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A hybrid built in a non UAW plant. Now there is a rich contradiction that would pose a dilemma for some.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Given my uncanny ability to hit the market at the lowest spot; I bought a hybrid recently when gas has been at its lowest in 3 yrs (?); however, very much enjoy the drive and feel better while I sit in rush hour traffic.

Was looking at a used Prius (for kid getting his license) after I suggested an Altima to my mechanic and he said get a hybrid, the drive trains are nearly bullet proof and all he does is change oil on them; almost no maintenance.

As I priced the Prius, realized that for a couple thousand more, could get the Lexus version; so drove both and decided to get the Lexus for myself and give my boys the Infiniti.

Car looks and feels nearly brand new, even though 3 hrs old. Amazing what 6 years of tech advances brings you. Always feels good to get into a new(er) car.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a 2014 Prius C that I bought in 2015.
    I like it.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What Lexus version of a Prius?

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

CT200h; the same drivetrain/hybrid, interior feels completely different and exterior looks different;

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We had the RX400h and loved it. Wound up getting the non-hybrid version in 2015, mostly because gas prices had come down so much, it didn't make financial sense to spend the extra $ on the hybrid. But that was an awesome car. The trade-in value was phenomenal because it was such a popular vehicle.

We got something like $3,000 over KBB value, IIRC, because the dealership already had a buyer lined up. That turned out to be a big bargaining chip for us. At one point during negotiations, the salesman said he couldn't go any higher on the trade value because if it sat on the lot, they'd have to pay taxes and they'd ultimately lose money on it. I countered by pointing out that his associate had told us during the test drive that he already had a buyer, and he would most definitely be making money on it, even at our valuation. We got what we asked for.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sweeeet; nice job bargaining.

You pay for it but Lexus is a nice experience; somehow no one had the owners' manuals (4 books; one over 700 pages) and I called Lexus' customer service number from the website to ask about getting replacements; they took my info then said "look for them in the mail." Well one week later, all 4 brand new show up. Wow, don't find that service everyday.

Draft saved Draft deleted