1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

thinking about getting into the business...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jpmallari32, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jpmallari32

jpmallari32 New Member

hello all. Im a 18 year old community college student. I went to community college because i really wasnt sure what i wanted to major in. I was trying to think about possible careers i could get into and i couldnt really think of anything i really thought i would enjoy. Then it hit me.. I love sports and i believe that i am a good writer, so i started to ponder getting into journalism. I have a few question for some of you experienced sports journalists:
    1) What made you decide to get into the field?
    2) Do you have prior experience in the field of journalism (I dont) before getting into it in college? If not, did it affect anything?
    3) Is the job stressful?

Thanks everyone

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wish you all the luck in the world in deciding what shape your future will take, but please, do yourself a favor.

Start with this thread: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/62949/

Read every word of every post of every page. All 36 pages worth.

Then skim the rest of this board, the journalism topics board. Read about furloughs and "suggested" 32-hour weeks and papers closing and people being laid off and horrible management.

Read all of that, absorb it, and then ask yourself if you couldn't find another way for you to work writing into your daily life. I simply can't suggest this business for anyone who isn't already in it. Not with good conscience.

Good luck.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

1) It came easy for me.
    2) No.
    3) I worked for 20 years and have spent the last 3 trying to find something fulltime since my paper closed.

EXTRA CREDIT: It's great that you like it, but you'd better be really damn good. If it's fun? ope you can afford to change your major.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

go for it. obviously you've done your homework.

enjoy the selling the toys.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Be sure to treat others like assholes along the way.. that will help too...

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

write incoherently.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

1.) sounded like a fun way to make a living. I was right in that regard except for the recent developments which include getting no pay raises, getting no respect from superiors and dealing with a misguided corporate world. It's a poorly run business, things you are too young to be thinking about.
    2.) Not much, wrote for h.s. and community newspaper but that's not really significant.
    3.) Not if you are good. It's somewhat stressful now because of the idiots in charge and job uncertainty because of the economy.

My suggestion: Get in a different field, take some journalism courses so you'll be equipped when we go to what is called "citizen journalism." It'll basically be people writing for minimum wage, but you'll get to write some sports in your spare time.
    Hate so sound cynical, but it was a very fun profession, which is being ruined by corporate types and bad business decisions. Not a healthy profession to be in, young man.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Newspaper journalism as it has been practiced in the past has no future. You need to find a career that does have a future.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

If you're a journalist at heart, you'll ignore what most people say and do whatever you want anyway. At 18, might as well give it a try if you're passionate about sports and writing. If you don't like it or the direction you're heading, you have plenty of time to pursue something different.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This is kind of dangerous, because this is thinking of years ago when the business was healthy. It's irresponsible to suggest somebody become a journalist now. I feel sorry for those who have the unstoppable passion because those running newspapers are not fulfilling their end of the bargain. There are no jobs. There's no future in it. I really would hate to be a Journalism dean right now. How the hell can they suggest people stay in this field? Maybe to be a blogger or citizen journalist, but there aint no jobs.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Learn to dig ditches well. Might want to try your hand at selling apples on the sidewalk too.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

U dont need jrnulism skilz to blogg or b a citezen jrnulizst. Jus strt writn.

Do what IJAG said and then think long and hard about it.

Good luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted