1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think the IOC is sorry now it chose China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 8, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Are they going to have that opportunity? No one in China itself will be able to, although I suppose those in China could communicate with those outside and have those communications published. I'd guess that wouldn't last very long, though.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think many will bite their tongues as long as they're there. Some also will get an early exit.

3. Possibly. If not during, then after. Though who's going to care or be surprised at that point?

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Exactly. Once the spotlight's off, who cares about the guy on stage screaming about how the play sucked?

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I think it's all a ploy for the Chinese to get Bauer back.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Dubass still has a few months left, though...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well said.

Just a couple of days ago I happened upon a newspaper article written in 1947 that said the IOC should not have decided to revive the Olympics after the war. The writer noted that not only did London have no business hosting the 1948 Games because of the aftermath of the war (rationing still going on in all parts of the country), the 1936 Games had been nothing but a propaganda show for the Nazis. He argued that the Olympics would not be missed if they were not revived......smart cookie. Wish I still had that article at my fingertips.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not to sound hawkish, but these arrogant little fucks have been begging for an ass-kicking for quite some time.

Best-case scenario: Media attends, report the unvarnished truth and force the fuckers to kick them out. Then, everyone else reports on that until they are asked to leave. Last one out, turn off the lights. Only a very public embarassment like that can make a dent. Do it VERY publically, call them on their shit, make them show their true colors, live and in technicolor.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. As you said, they could have moved the Olympics or the United States could have at least boycotted, though.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I just don't have confidence that enough people will write about it, and definitely not broadcast about it, until after it matters.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's the worst. Obviously, Hitler is the most despicable person in the history of the world, but I seem to remember reading that Germany did a great job in 1936, because Hitler wanted the world to take notice.

I know spnited covered the games that year so maybe he can enlighten the rest of us.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That just made me laugh out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted