1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think the IOC is sorry now it chose China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 8, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Pull the plug on the coverage plans.

What all the US networks should do is pirate the China TV signals and run the highlights from that.

After all China has little respect for our copyright laws.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I had a feeling this was going to happen. Can't wait to see what agreements print media must sign when they get there. And to see if any print media do a 180 and come home upon being presented with such agreements.

3. The Chinese don't give a shit if we film it or not and there's no way American broadcasters will pull the plug. The Chinese government has been telling Rupert Murdoch what to do for years without so much as a whimper from him. All for the money.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Doesn't matter whether they had the stones or not. What would the IOC do? Not a damn thing...

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Is it too late to boycott the Beijing Olympics?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, President Stupid will be all over that.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Carter left office in January of 1981. I can't believe you missed that.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The good news is that high-tech TV equipment will soon be selling dirt cheap when we get a sudden wave of Chinese knockoffs coming to market.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No one is going to do a damn thing about it. And while privately those who go over there will come back and tell us what a clusterfuck it all was and how terrible it was compared to Athens or Sydney or whatever, the published words will, at least among many, be about how great it was.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Do people even still watch these things? Seems like the Olympics have about as much appeal in the U.S. as watching soccer.

11. Maybe I'm idealistic, but I imagine most newspapers will jump on the opportunity to point out some of the oppressive tactics.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Actually, I was listening to something on NPR, I think, though it might have been the BBC World Service, the other day about exactly that. The decision was made before Hitler came to power, so to say "Hitler got the Olympics" is wrong. As it became clear what was going on there, though, I don't think there was any serious move to take the games away from Berlin.

The U.S. considered boycotting, and in the end didn't, obviously, though a couple of Jewish athletes did stay home. The Nazis also told the German people to be nice to everyone, Jews included, in something of an effort to put a good face on things. They did kick a Jewish high jumper off their team, having previously thrown her off and then invited her back. They interviewed her for the piece, and she basically said she would have been screwed either way if she'd been on the team. If she won, she would have been in mortal danger. If she lost, it would have "proven" what the Nazis were saying about Jewish inferiority.

Draft saved Draft deleted