1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think the IOC is sorry now it chose China?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 8, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And you don't enjoy, so, I guess, good for you. But what's the point in anyone trying to lead a "I hate the Olympics" campaign when you don't have to watch? That would be like me starting an effort to get American Idol ban going because I think it appeals to the lowest common denominator.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Good Lord, this just gets better and better...

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/06/03/oly.foreigners.ap/index.html

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Some of this stuff isn't new ... several places have long been restricted or off-limits to foreigners (Tibet being one of them, although it has usually not been difficult to get the special permit).

Foreign visitors are also not able to obtain a driving permit (given the deplorable Chinese driving skills, that's not a bad thing) and in many cases, are not allowed to go into rural areas (e.g., city-to-city travel) in a private car. Foreigners have always been required to register at local police stations, and it has always been illegal to take anything into China that would be considered subversive. I actually was worried my Lonely Planet travel guide (which is critical of the government in several cases and has a disproportionate amount of ink devoted to Tibet) would be seen as subversive.

The visa rules have changed a bit. As of mid-April, visitors had to begin to submit their full itinerary to get a visa to China. Prior to that, it wasn't the case. The main reason: fear of Olympics protesters.

I don't know why the IOC is shocked. The Chinese have always cracked down on "subversive" speech within their borders and tried to control the actions of residents -- and visitors. This is nothing new.

Draft saved Draft deleted