1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think PR is safe from job cuts? Not so fast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BYH, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The Broncos cut eight non-football staff employees yesterday, including their head PR guy and website managing editor.

Just another reason to root against them on Sundays.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8629051

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's OK. Am sure everyone will get all the information they need from the head coach.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sucks. Paul Kirk is a good guy. He had been there 13 years. That is just beyond shitty.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

1) Screw you.
    2) No one is safe. The economy sucks.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Yeah, I don't understand why anything would be different in Puerto Rico anyway.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You have to put this in the context of a monopolized industry that is fairly economy-proof because franchise values are what it is about. With sports franchises the real values are the franchises values. This is according to Forbes. In their latest list, the Broncos were worth $994 million. Pat Bowlen bought the team for $78 million in 1984. Their operating income has slipped a lot, according to the list, but it was still a cool $15.9 million last year, toward the bottom of the pack. There are some teams that supposedly lost money, the Lions, Seahawks, Falcons, Colts & Vikings, but there are a bunch that just sort of break even of don't earn much. Maybe the Broncos see themselves as slipping more this year. They rely a lot on sponsorships -- Invesco, Annheuser-Busch, etc. Still this kind of cut is ridiculous on the face of it. When you own an asset that you can sell for $20 or $25 or $50 million more each year than you could have the previous year, that is the real value of what you have. Cutting coaching staff, and essential personnel can only eat away at that franchise value ultimately. And it makes you look like a joke.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

How much are they really saving? Eight positions, let's say they're each earning $100,000. Let's say they're saving a cool million in salaries. Add in insurance, expenses, etc., I can't believe it's going to make a huge difference in the bottom line.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should just cut Jason Elam and go with some RFA kicker if they really want to help the bottom line.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If news organizations are cutting reporters, that has to make PR staffs vulnerable, doesn't it? I don't know anything about this particular instance, but if I'm a PR guy and seeing more and more of my constituents (reporters) being axed, I can't feel like I'm providing as much of a service. Nice trickle-down effect.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank you Ragu.

And GBNF: No need to get grumpy b/c I decided I don't like your favorite team. as noted by Ragu, it's pretty friggin crappy for a team worth nearly a billion bucks to cut eight positions. I've NEVER heard of a big three team laying off employees during non-strike times. Maybe I just missed 'em.

Guys get fired for not being the owner or GM's own guy, but laid off after years and years of meritious (sp) service under the same folks? Pretty crappy.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Apples and lugnuts. There aren't fewer media folks covering the Broncos, no matter how many reporters the two newspapers shed in Denver. Both rags still will cover the Broncos with as many scribes as ever. The cuts show up elsewhere, where high-profile PR types generally don't reside.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Who's to say that fewer newspaper jobs = less coverage? If anything, the PR guy might be more valuable now and in the future, in determining legitimacy for credentials among smaller papers, websites, cable and satellite outlets ...

Draft saved Draft deleted