1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think Newspapers are cheap?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Mar 28, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I just came to terms with it by saying to myself: "If I don't have the money to buy it, I must not need it."

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

After some tough early years, my wife and I decided some time ago that we would never again owe a dime to a credit card company because we bought dumb shit we didn't really need.

So, I just use the debit card, even when I have to travel for work. Hasn't been a real big issue for me.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Therefore, they have to shop at Circuit City!!

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

Under the no-shit, Sherlock file:

``Firing 3,400 of arguably the most successful sales people in the company could prove terrible for morale,'' Colin McGranahan, an analyst with Sanford Bernstein & Co., wrote in a note today.

That's some kind of analysis, Colin

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hell if you're thinking about going to Best Buy or CC, you might as well consider Wal Mart at this point.

6. boots

boots New Member

You damn sure won't find one of those in NYC

7. Why, yes. Yes, I do think that.

8. boots

boots New Member

I'm talking about Wal-mart, also known as Wally World.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy bought a camera at CC a while back and that's the last purchase either one of us has made at CC or BB (save an occasional CD or DVD) in years.
    HDTV was Costco, surround sound was tigerdirect.com, computers have been through the companies themselves.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I worked at CC in high school. Our department sold cell phones, video games, clock radios, other electronic junk -- we were the only hourly department at that point, and the bosses were telling the other department employees that they would remain commission -- and not switch to hourly. Of course, everyone knew that was a lie and that it was just a matter of time.

Still, I enjoyed working there more than I did at Target, my other high school job. CC paid better, closed earlier and was easier work (less busy, so more down time).

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I worked at CC during the Christmas shopping season during college, about 8 years ago. It was a good experience. I worked in the music and movies section of the store, but got a small commission for selling video game systems and the like. It was quite lucrative.

My time at Best Buy, on the other hand, was hell on earth. Slave-drivers. No commission. Shitty store setup. Lots of theft. Angrier customers.

12. Three in a row! ;) I worked at CC for about four months after I moved to my current location while looking for a job in the newspaper biz. It was a good work environment, although some of my co-workers were a bit simple. When I announced that I was quitting because I had finally gotten a job at a newspaper, one of the guys in my department asked me, no bullshit: "Oh, like a paper route or something?"

Dude, I'm 27 years old! No, not a fucking paper route!

Anyway, good times. Sad to see them start treating their employees like garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted