1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think before you send that e-mail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry. I'm off my game.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I guess it depends on whether his readers are crack-heads.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So, can we send those e-mails from personal accounts? Like I sent an e-mail to a company here in town with a glaring error on one of its billboards, basically saying "If you want to serve as a PR firm for any small company looking to grow, you might want to learn the difference between its and it's before it's 40 feet tall on a billboard."

I did it from a personal account...but now are we not allowed to be mad at people any more, even in our private lives?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If there's a more diplomatic way of doing things, always err on the side of caution.

Someone sending an e-mail reading, "I noticed a misspelling on your billboard" probably gets a little more response than someone being a douchebox about it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No, you are not. If you wanted to correct the situation, you should have gotten a ladder and a paintbrush instead of your poison pen.

There is no way to make this situation a personal one, since they are sending the email to the staffer of the Washington Post, not Angry Music Writer, Private Citizen.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're fired.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that someone had to explain what e-mail was to Mr Barry as a precursor to the conversation?

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Next thing you know, people will start saying that you shouldn't send professional emails late at night when you're really drunk.

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Sure you can but you are a public figure whose company may receive ad dollars from the PR firm you emailed which could result in the firm reducing advertising with your paper.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Google said:

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Professional emails are OK. Unprofessional ones are even better.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I applaud Tim Page.

Remember when journalists had fucking balls and didn't kowtow to flaks for slimeballs like Barry?

Well, no. Me neither.

Draft saved Draft deleted