1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Think before you send that e-mail

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, sort of, for the wire coding

Washington Post music critic apologizes for ’rude’ e-mail to former mayor’s aide <cm-bd>¶
    WASHINGTON (AP) — A Pulitzer Prize-winning music critic for The Washington Post has apologized for sending an angry e-mail in which he called District of Columbia Council member Marion Barry a “crack addict.” <cm-bd>¶
    Tim Page wrote to Barry’s aide last week after receiving a press release about the former mayor’s views on the financially troubled Greater Southeast Community Hospital. <cm-bd>¶
    “Must we hear about it every time this crack addict attempts to rehabilitate himself with some new — and typically half-witted — political grandstanding?” the e-mail said. “I’d be grateful if you would take me off your mailing list. I cannot think of anything the useless Marion Barry could do that would interest me in the slightest, up to and including overdose.” <cm-bd>¶
    Barry was videotaped in 1990, during his third term as mayor, smoking crack cocaine in a hotel room during an FBI sting. He served a six-month prison sentence. <cm-bd>¶
    In a story published Tuesday in The Washington Post, Executive Editor Leonard Downie Jr. called Page’s e-mail “a terrible mistake” and said he had taken “appropriate internal action.” Neither Downie nor Page would disclose what the action was. Page plans to take a previously scheduled four-month leave starting Jan. 1. <cm-bd>¶
    Downie also said Barry called him, and that Barry accepted his apology. <cm-bd>¶
    In an e-mail to Barry’s aide, Andre Johnson, Page said he was sorry for his “rude” response. “I am deeply ashamed for what I did and I know how hateful my words could be.” <cm-bd>¶
    Page said he had been cursed by a Barry staffer during an earlier phone request to be taken off the council member’s e-mail list. Johnson said he had no previous contact with Page and has no record of such a request. <cm-bd>¶
    Barry said he was “outraged” at the e-mail, “particularly coming from a reporter at a reputable newspaper like The Washington Post, not a rag.” He said Page “ought to be fired, and The Washington Post ought to run an editorial apology.” <cm-bd>¶
    Page won the Pulitzer for his music criticism in 1997, two years after joining the paper. <cm-bd>¶

2. Truth is no longer an absolute defense, I see.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Wait, isn't Barry actually a crack addict? I guess the truth hurts.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can't you just ignore e-mails from certain senders?

And why would the music critic be receiving e-mails about a councilor's public policy?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I get "personal" emails from the former Governor, got 'em when he was Governor. Lots of politicians will blanket the media. They like to brag about how big theirs is - their e-mail list.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you use Outlook, just use the rules function to block the e-mail address.

Or just delete it.

This guy seems like he's a little bit of a hothead.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe you could send him an email and point it out. Might also mention that Tiffany and the Partridge Family are your bestest favorite singers.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Line of the day.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Figures the Post would punish someone for ripping a Dem. ;)

Actually I think the punishment is bunk. Who cares what a music critic has to say about a local pol who essentially hassles him through email? How does that affect the job he does? Besides, pretty much anyone who isn't in Wards 7 and 8 feel the same way.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's not professional. If he is treating this minor inconvenience this way, what is he like to readers who might call or write and actually disagree with him?

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, "the bitch set (Marion Barry) up."

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Sure, be the voice of reason and all that.

Draft saved Draft deleted