1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things Younger Americans Should Know

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jul 16, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

God I'm going to sound like an old fart here but I think they did, at least moreso than today's youth.

Freedom Rides, helped desegregate the South. Voting rights drives. VISTA, the Peace Corps. Hundreds of thousands of college-age students.

The protests that eventually ended the Vietnam War. Ditto. The possibility of being drafted made you care about the war, unlike now, when no one really sacrifices except those who volunteered for the Army, and their immediate families.

Come clean for Gene, the RFK campaign ... Ditto.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right on, Micro!

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

"Emily is terrific."

"Yeah, but of course when I asked her where she was when Kennedy was shot she said, 'Ted Kennedy was shot?'"

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Most of the young people who involved in the counter-culture of the 1960s were doing it because it was hip, to party and to hook up.
    I don't think young people today are less informed or less intelligent, although the education they have received is not as thorough.

Draft saved Draft deleted