1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things Younger Americans Should Know

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jul 16, 2007.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Bob Loblaw's law BLOG!

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Crap, thanks for that. We have some mid 20-somethings in the office. I made a WKRP reference and then had to explain the 'turkey' episode. They didn't get why it was so funny.

Sigh ...

Anyhow, anyone remember how to calculate your headline size? I learned it in J-school but for the life of me, can't remember. The discussion on composing rooms and linotype reminded me of trying to wrap my head around it.

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I consider myself pretty culturally with it, but have not seen episode one of the Sopranos, Entourage, The Wire or Desperate Housewives. I have not listened to the White Stripes or The Strokes. As we get older and have families and focus more on them and our jobs, the desire to obtain certain frivilous information filters away. That's not a knock on those who still do; I waste my share of time (and a small village's share, on occasion).

Time passes and we give a smile and a wave.

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Eloquent point, CI. 

My local library ordered Season 1 of Ironside a month ago.  I was the first person to place a hold of it so I could watch it.  I remember the opening, the theme song, and nothing else, because I was born a year after Ironside went off the air. 

My impressions (and the veterans can weigh in as well) of the first season:  wow.  I never expected Chief Robert Ironside to be as abrasive, surly, and a smartass to everyone he came into contact with.  No one wonder why he got shot and ended up paralyzed.  And he still got the bad guy. 

Ed, Eve, Mark, and Fran deserves Congressional Gold Medals for putting up with an intelligent hardass. 

Damn, I love Raymond Burr.  My old man got me hooked on watching Perry Mason when I was 8 when TBS would show it at 12:05pm Eastern weekdays. 

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, and on snowy Bennington nights when you'd written a hoops gamer, wrestling gamer — between processing your own film and making prints — and taken 12 call-ins and written those up, while trying to "dummy" the pages, but screwed up a photo size because you misread the proportion wheel, so now you have to redo the entire package in 4 1/2 minutes or miss deadline, well, that really sucked.

Those good ol' proportion wheels ...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm actually quite glad that 30-and-unders have no knowledge of composing rooms, X-acto blades, pica poles and proportion wheels.

We're better off today on that count.

At 49, I guess I get a little bothered by what seems to be a lack of general "useless" knowledge by younger people. I'm more bothered by the fact that a scary percentage of them can't spell or do math in their head.

Because, it's not necessarily about spelling right, and it's not necessarily about getting the answer to a math problem. It's about exercising your brain, and that's what I find in shorter supply today. More and more people just do not like to exercise their brain.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How to diagram sentences.
    How to scan a poem.
    How to do a geometry proof.
    Basic Algebra and word problems.
    Logic and debate.
    American, world and ancient history.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but you'll nuke that post soon enough so there will be no record of it. Muahahahaa.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i still don't get it. who gives two fucking shits about scott baio or brandon walsh? really. what's the relevance?

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Tom, why are you so angry tonight?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Tomas, why do you break my heart so?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

byh, clever - i'm seriously not being pissy. i just don't get it.

i have like 1,200 things i could bitch about concerning youngsters, but not knowing who chachi is, isn't one of them. tell me i missed something. please.

Draft saved Draft deleted