1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things Younger Americans Should Know

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jul 16, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uhm, that would actually be the decomposing room.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Things everyone should know:

Just because someone doesn't know what you know doesn't make them an idiot. People have different standards for their cultural intake. I couldn't name you four Nirvana or Pearl Jam songs. Doesn't make me an idiot. You probably couldn't name four En Vogue songs. I wouldn't judge you for it.

Should people have heard of Nirvana or Pearl Jam when they're mentioned outright? Likely. But all this "Oh god, the world is going to hell in a handbasket because someone didn't know the chord played during the bridge of 'Stairway to Heaven'" is so overdone.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No, it's not. But consider it a compliment from some of us, given how territorial and arrogant we Americans can frequently be.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

En Vogue made four songs?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hate you.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I do know they were four hot (at the time) women.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

hahah good enough wicked. At least you know who they are.

That's my thing. I know who Pearl Jam is, I know who Nirvana is, but I certainly don't feel like they've impacted my life. And I think it's so easy on here, on a ton of threads, to judge people for not having had the same things happen in our lives.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the whole Seattle grunge experience bypassed me because they came at times when I was a) in the military and b) overseas quite a bit. I feel absolutely no connection to the young-adult experiences that people my age experienced in their early 20s. Also, seeing as how I, at 20, married a woman 13 years my senior, there were quite a few things I had no connection with as a result.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Back in the good old days before newspapers invested in desktop publishing programs and had the technology to send pages straight to press there was an intermediate step needed.
    The stories would be sent to a printer where they would come out on a special type of filmy paper. That filmy paper would then be fed through a hot waxer to make it sticky and then people known as compositors would cut the story out using a cutting blade (x-acto knife) and paste it onto the page per the slot person's layout. Editors and paginators would argue frequently when it came to making a good cut or switching the page around to make a story work.
    This page would then be brought to the production room where it would be shot onto a negative and that negative would be fed into a machine that made it into plates for the press.
    (To save time I tried cutting & pasting the copy myself when I would do agate.. several compositors threatened to cut my fingers off I tried it again)

10. Thanks EStreetJoe. I have heard about Paste up before, but had not heard of a composing room.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nicely done, E-Street.

Now, can you give us a lesson in linotype?
    (Can't wait for CU to ask what linotype is)

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Linotype is slightly before my time, I think. We might have used a linotype machine my freshman year in college (1987) at the school paper. Is it a machine that you use to type headlines in on and then it prints them out for you so you can paste it up?

Draft saved Draft deleted