1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things Younger Americans Should Know

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Jul 16, 2007.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

There are tons and tons of TV and movie references that I should get but don't. I've amazed people with my obliviousness to actors, famous shows/movies, etc. I rarely watch non-sports TV and don't go to many movies. While I'm not proud of my ignorance in those regards, I'm not ashamed, either.

Here's what I wish younger Americans knew:
    the English language, including the difference between logic and rhetoric
    U.S. history, especially since 1900
    at least some world history as well as current international relations (I know, I know, dream on)
    how to prepare a meal
    the basics of social etiquette, esp. professional etiquette

The list could go on, but that's good for starters.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bob Loblaw is crying.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Shit, I'll just say ... any history. Anything at all. Or, at least (and this is the hardest to develop, I'd say), for more of my generation to develop a sense of history. That something actually came before us, and that it affects how things are today.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Agreed, one of the best decisions I ever made was to double major in history. It was useful just yesterday, as I told the people I was with all about Roger Williams as we drove around Newport, RI.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Very little of what I learned in school has failed to make the useful transition to real life. History, science, math, even English (duh!) have all been important in the 18 years since I graduated. I just wish I'd paid more attention to the math part because my lack of knowledge even now is evidenced in numerous situations.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Something Younger Americans Should Know: Canada is NOT the 51st state. ::)

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

There's a wide spectrum of things could apply here...
    -- pop culture references like lines/references to Animal House, Blazing Saddles, Blues Brothers,etc.; who certain characters are (the Fonz, Brandon Walsh, Mork, etc.), musicians and songs, etc.
    -- social etiquette ("thank you", "you're welcome", holding a door, not talking on the cellphone while someone at the counter is trying to take your order/help you at the bank/etc., not talking on the cellphone while in the bathroom, not talking loudly on a cellphone while in a nice restaurant, etc.)
    -- this next one applies to some adults as well ... if you're a cashier, how to make change (without the register telling you how much to give back) and the right way to count change back to the customer (start at the price and count up to the amount the customer gave you; just don't count out the amount showing on the register)
    -- history and how it effects what's going on today.. a sense of where we've been as a nation and where we're heading.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Younger Americans need to learn to read, write and think.

We're concerned about them not knowing Nirvana or 90210 references when half of them come out of high school as functional illiterates.

The problem is all they know is pop culture and video games....as long as they don't have to spell "culture."

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given BYH's posts, I thought pop culture was all that mattered!

But, yeah, your three do carry some weight. Oh, yeah, also learn how to add/subtract.

10. Hate to say it but this applies to Older Americans as well (of course I guess it depends on how we qualify young). As a Target cashier during high school and college (the last six years), I saw numerous adults come through my line talking on the cell phone, one of the rudest things I had to experience. People just don't get it. In fact, my guess would be the older business types were the WORST about this, not the younger ones. The business call was so important they couldn't hang up. In general our society is failing at this and it is by no means just the younger generation, in my opinion.

For the record, I am 22 and got all of the references above (Baio, Nirvana, etc.) aside from the composing room. What is a composing room, btw.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You mean kuhlchur?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

A composing room was a quiet, peaceful room where writers used to gather to compose their stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted