1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things you'd change about baseball coverage (besides Joe Morgan)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Do we really need a sideline reporter in baseball? Can't the color analyst say the same bullshit?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No more in-game interviews with managers.

3. Universally OK use of the term RBIs.

What up, tp? ;D

4. pallister

pallister Guest

What are run batted ins?

I bet the managers would be all for this, too.

5. Ditto

6. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

About that RBIs thing. Let's get this settled once and for all: The plural is RBIs, not RBI.

Oh, but some of you say, it's runs batted in, not run batted ins.

Think of a corollary: attorney general. If you have more than one, it's attorneys general. But the acronym is AG, and if you have more than one of those, you form a plural in the usual way, so it's AGs. I hope you wouldn't write, or say, there were four AG in the elevator when it fell.

More than one RBI = RBIs.

7. The new AP box scores. As if we didn't have enough to do; now, in the face of shrinking web widths and space, everyone who built macros and auto-formats for box scores now has basically been told by the AP, "Fuck you. Get back to work and build new macros and auto-formats, because we decided to arbitrarily change the way we do things."

Go fuck yourselves, AP. And I say that from the bottom of my heart.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I say we go with RsBI to avoid any confusion.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Every time I see one of them, I think, "Why would they tell any of their players' weaknesses right now?" and "Can't they wait until after the game?" and "I really wish I could see the game right now."

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Every time I see one, I assume the manager thinks, "Why the fuck do I have to talk to these morons in the middle of a damn game?" Maybe they'll catch Ozzie at a bad time one of these days and that'll be the end of them.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd get rid of it entirely. :D [/baseballhater]

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Go cook a cat.

Draft saved Draft deleted