1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things you see that blow your mind: The restaurant edition

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jun 7, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So my wife and I are out to dinner tonight with a couple of her family members in Jersey. We ate at a nice diner that included a salad bar, and at the end of the bar was a bread station with two different types of rolls and cornbread.

There was a fork in the cornbread container, obviously intended for use by customers so that they could select their piece(s) without getting their dirty, dirty paws on the actual bread. I forked myself a piece of cornbread and moved on to making my actual salad.

While taking some lettuce, I noticed a woman behind me looking at the cornbread. What happened next fucking blew my mind.

She took the fork and put it to the side of the container. Then she REACHED HER HANDS IN THERE AND TOOK SEVERAL HANDFULS OF CORNBREAD. I was fucking floored, first by her gluttony (she was sitting at a table for four but she had enough cornbread to feed the Army). I could ALMOST understand if she picked out one piece for herself with her hands. It would have skeeved me out a bit, but maybe she just didn't like the piece of bread that the fork was already in.

But to be that brazen and rude and disgusting to NOT use the fork when selecting a dozen pieces...what the fuck? I really wanted to say something to her, but thought better of making a scene.

What say SJ? Was that as disgusting as I thought it was? And add your tales of WTF? moments from restaurants and diners!

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Stop eating at places with salad bars and come join the rest of the adult world? That would be my advice.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

*cough* eat my ass? *cough*

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You call that a buffet?

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Here's what Chris Berman had to say after he enjoyed BYH's ass.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Quit being such a pussy. Good thing cavemen weren't such germophobes or our species wouldn't have made it to Homo habilus.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey, at least she was in line AFTER you. Feel bad for the suckers after you.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't ever use the tongs to grab the bread in the buffet line. I'm only touching the one I'm picking out anyway.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

How do you know that the person who used the tongs/fork for the bread before you didn't just get back from the bathroom without washing his hands/just got done picking his nose (or butt)/or changed his kid's diaper without washing his hands, thus putting all those germs on the tongs/fork for you?

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You'd enjoy that too much, Beej. :p

On a more serious note, I can definitely understand why you'd feel tempted to say something to her. If she were in my group and I saw her do that, I would have said something to her. I don't think that's really your place to do so, however.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I'm never eating out again. Thanks, Joe.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BYH nervously eyes the cornbread tray.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted