1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things we should do away with

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 15, 2011.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Oh God, yes. If my sister forwards me one more goddamned thing that sounds a bit trite... and is proven so by a simple web search... I'm going to drive the four hours to Akron, walk in her front door and take a sledgehammer to her computer.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Royal Families
    Royal Weddings
    Goldman Sachs
    Miracle Whip
    Jellyfish

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

American English is not a Germanic language. It's a lingua franca with grammar rules appropriated from several languages. One of which is... A sentence cannot end in a preposition. Which is simply logical because prepositions require objects. If the sentence ends with a preposition, said preposition has no object and is, by definition, dangling.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sock puppets.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Clark Kellogg

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Go get me a cup of coffee, newb.

7. YankeeFan

Avatars that are used as cheap shots against other posters.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but a story I'm editing darn well better have "something to believe in" instead of "something in which to believe." Less-stilted writing demands the former, which is understandable and acceptable to those we are trying to reach. The saw about no prepositions to end a sentence ends with Mrs. Fenwick in P.S. 30.

9. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Which is fine, Dools. Far from the only rule we break in the interest of readability. But the rule does exist and is obvious when you think about it.

Put it's not a change up with which I shall not put.

10. YankeeFan

But they are a good Beatles tribute band:

http://www.americanenglishbeatles.com/

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How's it being used?
    If a writer uses 'They need something to believe in' why not just change it to 'They need to believe in something'?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hell, even my college linguistics professor acknowledged that it is a silly and outdated rule.

Draft saved Draft deleted