1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to remember if you're going to Wrigley Field

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by steveu, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's a Chicago driving tip and something I learned by experience ... IDOT gives you two mulligans over the course of a month for driving through a toll booth without paying.

It won't do you any good on the Tri-State as the toll booths have gates, but on those annoying 15 cent (or whatever they are now) exit ramp toll booths, it could save you if you're short on change.

Also, if you want to avoid the "Fuck You Wisconsin" $2.50 toll booth on the north end of the Tri-State, take U.S. 41 for a spell.

Lick my balls IDOT.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yeah, Fish, but ridin' on the bus sucks.

The El is cool. I done seen it in movies all the time. Ran by Elwood's apartment continually.

Goin' to Cubs games is all about bein' cool. If you don't take the El, drive. Your finest ride. Steal one if you have to. You don't have a date? I bet they got "Pretty Hooker Dates for Wrigley Field" in the Yellow Pages. See and be seen. Maybe Ditka will be there. Mayor Daley, however, no longer consumes hot dogs there. As Mr. Fabulous said, "He's dead, Sir."

Oh yeah, and Old Style sucks.

Last time I went, they served all kinds of different beers.

Be cool, y'all.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

And before you leave the stadium, find out how to reserve your 2007 World Series tickets.

4. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I can understand the attitude about the bus from people not from the area. Elsewhere in the country, no one takes a public bus unless they're held hostage. In Chicago, many people take the bus and the buses run a little better sometimes than the trains. They come more frequently and with the Red Line construction, they're probably faster. The conditions are about the same as far as cleanliness and the amount of transients, bums, et al, that get on.
    Yeah, the train is probably preferable for sightseeing and general atmosphere purposes. I was just giving people a heads up and giving them an alternative should they visit Wrigley.

Traffic's not bad right now :), but it's 9 a.m. on a Sunday. I went out for a little bit about an hour ago and took a spin around the ballpark just to see what was up. There was a line of about 15 people waiting at the ticket booths, a couple people setting up the T shirt booth on Waveland and Clark and a couple camped out near the center field gates.

Old Style is only good when you're at a Cubs game. Otherwise, it ranks down there with Nattie Light.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

You'll also need to figure out how to get to an alternate dimension to use those tickets ...

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I should start fielding bets. Here's another random figure to chew on: With last night's loss, they are now 6-14 in one-run games. It's easy to become fixated on those losses, but numbers don't lie. The reality is that they're a swing away from winning a lot more ballgames.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's almost impossible to make chicken salad out of such a right-handed, fastball-hitting lineup.
    Real pitchers eat these guys for lunch. Just another triumph for the braindead, talent-judging
    circus clowns currently employed.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Am I misguided, or are tickets (non-bleacher) easy to come buy. If I was in town and decided to go to a game, could I just walk up a couple of hours before hand and pick up tix behind home plate, or down first or third base? How is the atmosphere away from the bleachers. Did that at Yankee Stadium and its cool when you're like 19, but when you get older, you just want to enjoy the game.

9. KP

KP Active Member

If you must have a car (as I did for my only Wrigley trip) they have a bunch of park and ride lots set up that are pretty good. The one I used was in like an industrial park - though I think there was a DeVry Institute there.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Last year when I was in Chicago for Big Ten football media days, checked online on the Cubs' Web site as soon as I got to town and there were tickets available all over the stadium to see the D'backs.

Sat 20 rows behind home plate _ granted, it was a little pricey ($50). But it was worth it.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It depends. The Cubs make a big deal out of selling a big chunk of tickets before the season even begins (which really screws people who want to come to Chicago on vacation only to find they can't go), but if you check and you just need one ticket you might be in luck.

Best times are April, the first part of May and September. Forget about June, July and August. And when you wonder why there are 40,000 fans to watch the Nationals (Sorry, Moddy!), you'll wonder how many of them are actually there for a game.

Full disclosure... I am a Cardinals fan, so all things Cubs are worth picking on. :)

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

Draft saved Draft deleted