1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to Do in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. But most of them are on the Illinois side of the border.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Try The Safe House. Food is probably just OK, but you won't find too many spy-themed restaurants. Ask your waiter/waitress where the secret exit is, too.

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Are you kidding me? Wisconsin has tons more good courses than Illinois.

Blackwolf Run, Whistling Straits and The Bull are closer to an hour away from Miller Park, but all are worth the drive. Closer to Milwaukee, Brown Deer Park (home of the GMO, one of few public courses to host a PGA Tour event), Ironwood, Deertrak and Erin Hills (incredible new course which opened last year and is likely to be a future U.S. Open site) are all very nice courses.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, I'm not kidding you. I said most. Not all. He asked within 30 miles, and I gave an honest answer.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I forgot to mention Fire Ridge and The Bog, too, both in the far northern suburbs, but only half as far as the previously mentioned Sheboygan-area.

6. The Safe House also has pretty good deals on spy-themed drinks. And if you're lucky, a magician will be performing the side bar. Good luck finding the place if you decide to go there ... There is also a pub that is connected to the Safe House with a newspaper-themed name that I am blanking on its name. That place is pretty good, too.

If you're into Mexican food, check out Le Perla on South Fifth Street. The rooftop is a great place to enjoy a maragarita or two...or a pitcher.

North Avenue has several bars as well.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Find Lisa. She'll show you a good time.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Mayfly....

Brat Stop is good -- for Brats. But for burgers I'd recommend Solly's Grille at 4629 N. Port Washington Rd. You won't need the debfibrillator because the burger/bun is soaked in butter and the pool of butter on the plate is so deep you'll croak just after the last bite.

Custard? Go to the south side, 27th and Oklahoma, for Leon's. (If you take 27th from Wisconsin Ave., to Oklahoma you can make it in 20 minutes or so depending on traffic. As for the custard, if it's good enough for several Presidents it'll be good enough for you. Best custard in the city.

If you like mexican food, head to the National Ave. area, between 2nd and 6th if memory serves. Lots of places from which to choose.

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

The absolute best part of the Harley bikers visiting Milwaukee is seeing people line the Interstate -- yes, the Interstate -- to wave flags, give the biker's high-fives and generally welcome them to the city.

I kid you not because my mom was part of that crowd.

The flag-wavers, not the bikers. ;D

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd make a road trip up there, if Fenian would get us our damned jackets. :mad:

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

THIS is the brewery tour you want to do:

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/tours.php

12. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Wow, a lot of great advice here. It seems like Milwaukee has a lot to offer. Our tentative plan is to drive from Delaware to Chicago (see the Cubs vs Mets) then drive through the night to Milwaukee and sleep in the car or a cheap motel to the Phillies game the next day. Or we can stay in Milwaukee during the full weekend. We are leaving Friday, August 2nd at around 5 PM and it's going to be a hefty 14 hour drive. So the loge boxes and the terrace level are the best places to sit in Miller?

So tailgating is pretty big there. Any suggestions?

Draft saved Draft deleted