1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to Do in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mayfly, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

My cousin, his friend, and I will be traveling to the land of the Bratwurst to see the Phillies take on the Brewers on August 4th and 5th. Where is the best place to sit in Miller Park? What are some 21 and over things and places to go see in Milwaukee? Any other tips are appreciated.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Begin drinking heavily.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Milwaukee is home of the 'Holler House', the nation's oldest sanctioned bowling alley. Built in 1908 and still in operation today.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Go to the Brat Stop in Kenosha. Bring your defibrillator.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Two lanes in the basement, with pinboys setting up the pins. Plus, it has a large assortment of bras hanging from the ceiling ... take it as good or bad.

Water St. is the main bar district, but can be overrun with the college-aged crowd at times ... which might be what you want. Bars I enjoy in that area that can be fun are The Harp (outdoor patio along the river), The Lodge (outdoor patio) and Rosie's (older, fun crowd ... dancing on tables and booths).

Some other places to consider are the Milwaukee Ale House on S. Water in the Third Ward; Old World Third St. that features Lucille's Piano Bar, Old German Beer Hall and Buck Bradley's; also could check out the Bluemound Ave. bars near Miller Park or Leff's and Saz's in Wauwatosa.

PM me if you want more details.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

As far as good places to sit ... I prefer the loge seats (2nd level). Right field bleachers or terrace box seats are also my faves.

Also, try a brewery tour ... you can go with the simple Miller Tour, or you could try one of the micros - Sprecher or Lakefront Brewery.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Miller sucks balls. But the micros are mighty fine, especially Lakefront.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention the Brady St. bars (Up and Under, Harpo's) and North Ave. bars (Eastsider, Vitucci's, Hooligans, BBCs, Live and Landmark Lanes ... right under the Oriental Theater) near UW-Milwaukee.

Bottom line, you won't go home thirsty.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Despite my love of Milwaukee, I haven't actually lived there since the mid 80s, so I'm next to useless on anything but general specifics on bars (Water Street, Farwell near UWM and about 1,000 neighborhood joints) in my hometown, so here's some general tips.

-- Check out whatever ethnic festival is going on at the lakefront. The food is great (well, unless it's Irish Fest, and before all the Irish on here jump my ass, I'm half-Irish too!) and there's plenty of music, beer, etc. Good times.

-- Tailgate at the game. You'll see how the pros do it.

-- I haven't been on one since I was a kid, but you could always go on a brewery tour. I know back in the day, they gave out free beer at the end of the tour.

-- A restaurant still around from my old neighborhood is Balistereri's Pizza. There's one on Bluemound, but the old school location on 68th and Wells is the one to visit. Pizza is good, the fried eggplant is great. Gutter threw out Saz's under the Hawley bridge on State Street, which is also decent.

Those are among the restaurants/taverns in my old neighborhood, there's tons of others, including some really good Mexican joints on the near south side.

-- If you're drunk, you must get Webberized at George Webb. It would be very Milwaukee of you.

-- Go to 1314 63rd Court in Wauwatosa and when the current residents answer the door incredulously, tell 'em Bubbler sent ya!

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And to answer a question that Mayfly is thinking but hasn't yet posed: Yes, there are strip clubs. And no, you don't want to visit them.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

African World Festival is the festival on the Summerfest grounds that weekend.

I second the Balisterri's on 68th and Wells ... best Italian place in the city, in my opinion.

C'mon, Doc ... Silk is a fine gentlemen's establishment. As for the rest ... yeah, stay away.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Another bar-time place for eats besides Webb's is Real Chili ... two downtown locations, one on the Marquette campus and one over by the Jefferson St. bars (Flannery's, Taylor's)

Draft saved Draft deleted