1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in LA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Seriously, the Getty Museum and the Villa are wonderful. I hosted a group of Italians last summer in SoCal and took them to the Getty and Huntington Library in Pasadena. They still e-mail me and talk about the wonderful time they had.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Sorry, just purchased my Dodger Stadium field level tickets tonight!

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

The night life is awesome.
    I had a really good time in Westwood.

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

When Disney opened a second theme park next door to Disneyland (it's called California Adventure, and don't waste your money going there), Universal was worried that tourists would just stay in Anaheim for a few days and skip Hollywood. So Universal started a free bus from Anaheim, just for tourists. Check with your hotel or with Universal to see if it's still running. That would be a great option.

Also, there is mass transit from Anaheim to LA, depending on where you want to go. The Metrolink train stops in the Angel Stadium parking lot, a few blocks from Disneyland. Get off at Union Station in LA, then transfer to red line subway, which stops at Universal Studios and at Hollywood/Highland, home of the Oscars and the Walk of Fame.

Hollywood otherwise is a pit, no glamour, mostly T-shirt shops and puzzled tourists looking for stars. They're not there. For seeing stars, Dyno's idea is a great one. You also could check out the boutiques (and the Ivy restaurant) on Robertson Blvd., where paparazzi hang out waiting for Lindsay Lohan to pick up a new dress -- or crash her car. I got stuck in that star-studded traffic jam.

No decent public transit to the Getty or Robertson Blvd. No public transit at all to Dodger Stadium, unless you like a REALLY long walk.

If you want the postcard ocean view with decent (not great) seafood, head to Gladstone's in Pacific Palisades. And, if you go to Tommy's, by all means go to the original shack at Beverly and Rampart. Pink's hot dogs is the other legendary LA shack, at La Brea and Melrose.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay, all things taken into consideration (like, we're doing Disneylan, seeing LA, etc.)

Where in the hell does a person stay that is centrally or as conveniently as can be located?

6. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no central, convenient location.
    I'd go with what was already said on this thread-do a couple of days up near Universal, then head down and do a couple in Anaheim.
    Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of your trip on the freeway. (Though you would be seeing the real LA ;D)

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I was afraid of that Devils.

8. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Give me a list of all the things you'd like to do, and I'd be happy to suggest where to stay ... on this board or via PM. You're probably looking at one place in Anaheim/Orange County and one place in LA, plus a car rental.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No central location, sorry.

When you do Dodgers/Universal, stay in Burbank. When you do Disney, stay in Anaheim. You'll regret if you try to pick one "home base" and try to go everywhere from there. It's a waste of time.

So, say, if you're there five days, try to plan your stay so that you do all the northside/LA things the first 2-3 days and then do the OC things on the next day or two. Split them up by geography so you can maximize your time there.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good lord, man. You've been gone too long. This dude's coming all the way across country, and the best you are offering him is Belmont Heights-adjacent? :) Why not suggest the Little Caesars in the strip mall, too? And Green Burrito is in almost every Carls Jr. now.

The best so far are the trips to the Getty and the Disney Hall and Phillipes. Take heart that there is no "central location" and take up the offer to have someone help you pick places to stay.

Here's one more suggestion - if you are going to do beaches, I suggest Orange County instead of LA county. If you are ambulatory and don't mind a little walking, go to 1000 Steps beach in South Laguna. Its almost hidden off PCH in South Laguna, and parking can be a bear, and you have to go down 200-300 steps to get to the beach.

But hang a left after you get down the steps, go about 200 yards, and you will find the coolest, most secluded beach in so Cal, with great waves. Trust me on this. Google to find, or pm me.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Angels are playing a weekday matinee in July when we're going to be out there. What's the ticket situation like for them? Should I order online or can we get them at the box office?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yikes. What did he ever do to you??

You have to drive everywhere anyway, at least stay where you can do some other things....can't go wrong in Santa Monica--the beach, the pier (gross, in my opinion) 3rd Street Promenade)--reasonably close to Malibu to the north, Westwood (UCLA) and Beverly Hills to the east, more beaches to the south. Century City could work too, nice hotels and close to most of the above. I'd rather stay in those areas and drive to Universal and the Dodgers game than the other way around.

Draft saved Draft deleted