1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in LA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Agree that staying at Disneyland is a bad idea with the idea of communting to LA.

Something which might be interesting is the Museum of Television and Radio in Beverly Hills. They put on some interesting programs and you can select some of your own programs. It also might be interesting because you can walk around Beverly Hills and see all of the shops. I only go to Rodeo Drive on Sunday nights when I know the stores will be closed and my wife won't spend much time there.

If you go to Universal Studios, there is a place called Miceli's which is right around there - down the street from Universal Nissan. They have great pizza, outstanding Italian food, and the servers are all outstanding singers. The prices are pretty reasonable too.

21: Actually, nothing else comes to mind which I suppose is why my reaction was "21, Are you crazy?"

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Wally World! (in reality, don't go to Magic Mountain).

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Griffith Observatory. Santa Monica. I strongly recommend the Getty. Queen Mary in Long Beach. And without a doubt: In-N-Out.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Getty, Getty, Getty. One of the best museums I've ever been to.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If your wife wants to see celebrities, go for a drink at the Four Seasons or the Chateau Marmont.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Knotts Berry Farm.

Do the Hollywood Strip.

Spend a day in Long Beach, for sure, especially Belmont Shore/2nd Street/downtown.

Just don't leave your wallet in El Segundo.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Another vote here for In-And-Out. Had my first one last year, am hoping to hit it a couple of times when I'm back in the OC in July.

8. Songbird

Tommy burgers on Anaheim Street in Long Beach.

Green Burrito on Spring Street in Long Beach.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK, guess I'll chime in from my apt in downtown Los Angeles.

The absolute must-see in all of LA is the Getty Museum in Brentwood. It's free (except for parking) and the buildings alone are worth the visit, never mind the art.

If you wanna do Malibu, arrange to go the Getty Villa there. It's recently renovated and full of ancient Roman art.

A drive around downtown is pretty interesting -- LA's new crown jewel is the Disney Music Hall downtown, which you'll recognize from a hundred car commercials. It looks like the world's largest wad of aluminum foil!

If you're hungry while downtown, go to Phillippe's across from Union Station. It's where the French Dip sandwich was invented.

Try to make an Angels game -- don't bother going to see those just-swept losers in Blue.

The Venice Beach boardwalk is indeed safe -- but I'd suggest Newport Beach instead. More to do and prettier people, to boot.

And when it comes to killing an afternoon at a theme park, etc., Universal Studios Tour is the overwhelming choice of the natives.

Have fun but please bring us some RAIN!!!!!

10. Songbird

Santa Monica pier

Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach ... all the beaches. Zuma Beach has really fine, soft sand.

Munchkinland in Virginia Country Club (north Long Beach).

Planetarium.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

When I read this sentence, I immediately started singing "Universal City Ni-ssan," like Big Boy on POWer 106.

...nuthin outta yo pocket...

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mountains. Drive up to Mount Wilson and check out the observatory (you're thousands of feet above the smog and the view is incredible, but you can't see much of LA for the smog).

Santa Monica is nice. A drive up the PCH is not so much, although it's cool to check out Malibu.

Hollywood is overrated. There's the Walk of Fame, but about all there is are tourist traps, the Kodak and the Chinese. Bars? There is an English pub on Sunset (The Cat & Fiddle), but that's it in Hollywood proper; you have to go further west to the Strip.

In 'n' Out goes without saying (make sure you get a T-shirt). And for the love of God, STAY OFF THE 405!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted