1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in LA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, May 21, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

What is there to do?

The better half wants to do "celebrity home tours," walk Rodeo Drive, go to Beverly Hills, see the Hollywood sign.

What else is there?

We're doing a Dodgers game, Disneyland and Universal Studios, of course.

What else?

And, if we stay right at Disneyland in Anaheim, would we be able to drive/commute into and out of LA and the tourist-type places from there?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The tour is free, at least.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That Anaheim-LA schlep is a big pain in the neck, any time of day, any route you take...it's a solid hour in moderate traffic, and the traffic is never moderate. I'd think about splitting your time...stay in Anaheim while you're at Disleyland, then move up to LA.

If you want to drive, go north up PCH to Santa Barbara for the day....about a two hour drive up the coast, very beautiful.Have lunch, walk around, drive back.

Cheap and crazy people watching, go to Venice Beach and just walk.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Comedy clubs in Santa Monica are great.
    I'd check to see if there's any concerts at the Greek Theater while you're there.
    Best atmosphere for a concert I can imagine.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When we were in the OC last summer we enjoyed Knott's Berry Farm way more than Disney.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

[​IMG]

You could always riot :-\

I didn't have that much fun when I went out there last. I was also underage for anything, so maybe that changes things.

7. BRoth

BRoth Member

Knott's is good fun ... there's also a Medieval Times that's nearby if you're into that kind of thing.

You can always park at Hollywood Blvd and Highland (a big shopping center) and walk around Sunset and Hollywood. Your wife might be interested in the Walk of Fame.

And no trip to LA is complete without a stop to In-And-Out Burger.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

21, while I sometimes disagree with your posts, I almost always find your contributions worthwhile and am grateful for them.

Your statement above is the exception. Venice Beach is questionable when it comes to safety. I told a friend from New Jersey that but his wife wanted to see some of the art galleries. My friend later told me I was right.

I would say walking on Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach would be a better beach walk.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you want to go to Dodger Stadium AND Universal, stay in Burbank or N. Hollywood. It's 5-10 miles to either. Then go down to Anaheim and stay there when you go to Disneyland.

You do NOT want to commute from Anaheim to all points "L.A." That's a waste of time.

I second the suggestion of walking Venice Beach (I, for one, have never felt unsafe there. Take that FWIW.) And don't skip the Venice canals, either.

And let me suggest this scenic route of getting there: From Burbank, take the 134W to the 101. Exit Las Virgenes Rd. Head south on Las Virgenes, which turns into Malibu Canyon Rd. You'll travel through Malibu Creek State Park (the views are still a vivid picture in my mind) and run into the Pacific Ocean at Pepperdine. Head south on the PCH through Malibu, Santa Monica and into Venice. Just spectacular.

If you're into art, the Getty Center (off the 405) is one of the best museum experiences in the country. It's $8 for parking, you ride the tram up the hill and you enter the museum for free. There's nothing like drinking an Italian soda on the patio, overlooking the beautiful views of west L.A./Century City (it's too smoggy to see much farther) in one direction, and the Pacific Ocean/Catalina Island in the other.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

if you're a car freak, Petersen's Automotive Museum on the Miracle Mile

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Gold-I know what you're saying, I've never had a problem or felt unsafe there. I just think it's a unique slice of LA, for people who are into lunatic-watching and five dollar sun-glasses.

(You don't agree with all of my posts? I'm stunned! Which ones??)

Draft saved Draft deleted