1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things To Do In Kansas City When You're (Not) Dead

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Apr 9, 2009.

1. billikens

billikens Member

Before last year, I was all about Jack Stack. Then I had Oklahoma Joe's, which is, by far, the best barbecue in KC. But whoever said they're all good is right. It's pretty tough to not enjoy yourself any of the BBQ places. (except Famous Daves, which sucks).

The College Hoops Experience is a great time, and if you're already there, then Power and Light is right across the street. And, for me, P&L is much more fun than Westport. Just don't wear baggy jeans shorts or an oversized white t-shirt.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Being from Kansas City, I can tell you Gates is good, but as someone else said, it's way overrated. Go w/ Jack State, Okie Joes, Arthur Bryant's, etc.

Also, avoid Power and Light unless you want to feel like you went to the worst Mardi Gras immitation party ever. Place is kind of a joke.

3. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Oklahoma Joes is what it's ALL about when it comes to BBQ. http://oklahomajoesbbq.com/
    Don't let the fact that it's a shitty looking gas station dissuade you.

The World War 1 museum is awesome. Only about two years old and very well done.

Boulevard Pale Ale is my favorite. While I'm on the subject, the Boulevard Brewery tour will probably be booked, unless you're planning way in to the future. When I actually got to go, we had to plan about four months in advance. They have about four tours a day and, I think, about 15 tickets per tour.

Power and Light district is pretty sweet, though it mostly opened after I moved away. I was back at the PBR bar (Bull riding, not shitty beer), which is in that complex, and there were all these jaw-droppingly hot women riding the mechanical bull, flimsy evening-out clothing flying all over the place. It was incredible.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I will echo the college basketball experience/hall of fame. very neat, right in downtown KC by the Sprint Center.

Going to Lawrence and checking out Allen Fieldhouse is never a bad idea, though it's about 45 minutes from the K.

As far as hotels around Kauffman Stadium, there's one. I think it's a Clarion. Right across from a Denny's.

5. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

There's actually three. The Clarion right by the Denny's. What used to be an Adam's Mark is across the street, but I can't remember what it is now. It's a high rise hotel. And there's a Holiday Inn right on the access road to the stadium behind a gas station. I think it's a Holiday Inn, at least.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

I think I'm gonna stay in Westport and cab to the game.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What do you think all the beer is for?

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Even if you're not a museum guy, the WWI and Negro Leagues museums are can't-miss spots. The WWI one may not sound all that exciting, but it is fucking amazing.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Nah. I love the fact that the rivalry inspires hatred, because that's what rivalries are supposed to do. But I don't condone slaughter and burning.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I should be shot for not metioning this earlier, but here goes:

No matter how you get to the game, make sure you go to Hi Boy. It's a walk-in burger joint on Blue Ridge Cutoff, about two minutes from the stadium. Fan-fucking-tastic... definitely cheaper and almost certainly tastier than anything you'll find in the stadium.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Anyone eaten at a burger joint called Town Topic? There's one on Johnson Drive in the Kansas burb Mission. Greasiest place I've ever eaten at, but fuck, those burgers are good.

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

If you are un-dead you can take pictures of Woody Harrelson.

Draft saved Draft deleted