1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things to do in Hawaii (besides drink on the beach)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TyWebb, Feb 10, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As a Georgia grad, this would be a life pinnacle, right up there with getting my ass kicked by Herschel Walker.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Haha, sorry man. This was definitely one of those "I don't have any kids. What the hell am I waiting for?" moments. I'll bring back some Kona coffee for ya. Thanks for all the great advice.

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

The manta ray night dive is actually at the Sheraton Keauhou Bay. If you go to South Point with a Jeep or 4-wheel drive car, you can head to Mahana green-sand beach (or pay a local at South Point to drive you). If you see a guy selling hulihuli chicken on the side of the road, by all means get one.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

But stay away from that howlie howlie chicken.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Definitely do the drive on the Big Island from the volcano side to the Hilo side, amazing you go from almost no rain to a rain forest area. I honeymooned there and got to see a huge manta ray come up to he shore (at least 6 ft across) amazing.

On Maui, the volcano is worth visiting.

Basically though in Hawaii, if you get into the mindset, you can't lose (hang loose).

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I highly second the recommendation for the Lanai trip run by Trilogy. I've done it twice. Love it.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Makena beach in Maui - it's where the locals go South of the Wailea
    Half the fun of Hana (and the seven pools) is just the journey

One thing to realize when driving, figure you'll be luck to average 35 mph to get anywhere so plan accordingly.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Good advice from all. Many of these are going on the list, provided I'm sober enough to do them.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would have been content to drink on the beach. Wife made me snorkel, parasail, take a helicopter ride, do the ride to whatever it's called, etc.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It's tourist-y and a little pricey (probably around $300 to $350 a person), but I highly recommend a helicopter tour ride, preferably of at least 50 minutes' duration. We did it on Kauai, and it was worth every penny. We all loved it and I'd say the experience was the highlight of our trip. Sometimes, you just have to spend the money.

Amazing how intimate and yet open a helicopter feels as compared to a plane, and the ride was smooth and felt very safe. Now that I've done it once, I'd probably do it on each island if it wasn't so expensive.

I might be biased because I was lucky enough to get assigned one of the front seats, next to the pilot, which I was told, and kind of had the sense, was the best place to be.

(It's all about weight distribution, and the pilot of the helicopter I was on was a pretty big guy, and there was another quite-heavy person on the flight, so maybe it was just a matter of balance, I don't know. But, when it was over, I asked the people in the back what they thought of the trip and they all raved and thought it was worth it, too, so apparently there wasn't a bad seat to be had).

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One note on the road to Hana, check out the gravesite of Charles Lindbergh. It's a nice highlight at the end of the trip.

12. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted