1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Should Not Be Purple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

How about the ticket holders in that end zone? They can't be too happy right now.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

and this is so much more professional.. ??? [​IMG]

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Meh. Obviously, I can't speak for everyone who will be in the house tomorrow, but I sincerely doubt that many folks are being drawn to this event, for the amazing sight lines. Truth is, I have no idea where MY seats are.....but if they're in that end zone, I doubt the quality of my day will be terribly impacted.

Then again, that's just me....

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny how all through the 70s and 80s everyone, especially baseball people, hated those multi-use cookie-cutter stadiums like Veterans Stadium, Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc. and now that everyone has baseball-only and football-only stadiums, it seems like the baseball people miss the extra revenue from the other events that they didn't want in their stadiums back then.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Players know they're in the end zone, which can serve as their warning track. I'll give you the player who slams another guy into the wall.

Still, they should have thought of this, oh, about a year ago, instead of misleading the fans of that end zone into thinking they might actually get to see a team score up close.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One thing I do wish is that they'd keep the dirt infields. As a kid, I used to like seeing football games on dirt infields.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They should have just done it and not announced anything, switch the camera angles after each change in possession. There's a good chance few people would have noticed.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Good stuff from Greg Couch:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/19/northwestern-illinois-at-wrigley-field-a-novelty-in-more-than-on/

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

You do realize this point has been answered like three times in this thread?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They should have just done the field to scale & shaved half an inch off of every yard.

That would have saved them 5 feet.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, the specific point hasn't been answered at all (I went back and looked). ;)

I do realize this: I lived hundreds of miles away from Chicago and remember only very vaguely watching Bears games on TV from Wrigley, but I did remember the fact the brick wall ran across the end zone, and the very instant this game was announced back in the summertime or whenever it was, the very first thing that flashed across my mind was, "is the Big Ten going to put up with the brick wall running across the end zone?"

Hell, I don't even work for Northwestern; I don't get paid to think about that crap. But undoubtedly some people do.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just wait 'til next year, when Cal plays at AT&T Park while Memorial Stadium gets a makeover. One end zone abuts the left field wall.

Draft saved Draft deleted