1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things That Should Not Be Purple

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I find this all refreshing, that such a big thing became subject to human error. How all kinds of big decisions can be made, but one little aspect got overlooked. Just a welcome sign that we're humans, not machines.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that the Big 10 knew about this for months and even signed off on the field layout. I guess once somebody got a look at it with players on the field when Northwestern practiced there yesterday somebody's legal counsel got nervous.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Bunch of wusses

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Bears played at Wrigley for years back in the day. How come this never came up then?

5. Rumpleforeskin

They didn't build the luxury seats down the third-base line then.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Field ran the other way then too.

Read yesterday that they took out the luxury seats for this game. One issue might be that the dugouts stick out farther onto the field than they did 40 years ago. Also, they added several rows of seats behind home plate a few years ago as well.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I don't know--I think it really cheapens the whole event. Makes it seem like less than a real game to me for some reason.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Do Illinois and Northwestern play real football anyway?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More than Notre Dame has, for years.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At least Wrigley is still Wrigley.

The Notre Dame-Army game? Like watching a Civil War reenactment in Hawaii.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Rumple, I can't speak for Northwestern, but on behalf of Illinois, perhaps you're forgetting the 4 national championships? Yep, some heady times I'm sure when the students jumped in the Packard post game, headed to the speakeasy, gave the password Oskee Wow Wow and did the Charleston all night long to celebrate....

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not a "little aspect."

Anybody old enough to ever remember Bears games being played at Wrigley would have immediately said, "hey, what about the brick wall across the end zone?"

Is there nobody in the whole NW athletic department more than about 45 years old?

Draft saved Draft deleted