1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm constantly asking younger cohorts what they consider to be "classic movies." My recent gig everyone was into Harry Potter. They had discussions about Hermoine being the real hero and when they mentioned a plot point I'd yell "SPOILER ALERT!!" just to mess with them.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I referenced the rock group Heart and two late 20s co-workers had never heard of them

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'm walking through Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and I see a baseball glove for sale: $259. I pick it up and think to myself, "2000 model, didn't I have this when I last bought a glove 50 years ago?" I know I couldn't have spent more than $25.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Who?

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Look, try to understand. Try to understand. Try, try, try to understand. They're a magic band

Chef2, HC and MTM like this.
  6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

As a senior in high school in 1978 a buddy told us his cousin was in a band that had released an album. We went to the library at lunch and grabbed a cassette player and headphones, which were basically plastic tubes with prehistoric earbuds.

The group was Heart and his cousin, Howard Leese, was the bass player. He has a cool riff during the instrumental portion of Magic Man.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  7. DanOregon

Oh I remember those headphones.

[​IMG]

spikechiquet likes this.
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've posted several times on here about my knee killing me. Moderate osteoarthritis or some such I was eventually told. Expect a replacement in your future.

I'd never been to a chiropractor until my daughter married one. He jerked every which way he could. Interesting session. My knee hasn't hurt a lick since. Neither has my back. Still walking every damn day, used to hurt LIKE HELL on rainy days (or when rain was coming). Now? Nothing. Yes, I've lost some weight but this happened beforehand. He says such wear and tear is not unusual for a knee my age and doesn't think I'm on the path toward a replacement.

My daughter married well!

That said, I'm still old af and feel it but my knee doesn't hurt.

spikechiquet, MileHigh and Dog8Cats like this.
  9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

A community college basketball coach when addressing his team after the game, pointed at me and told his team I had been covering his teams for nearly 20 years. Time really flies.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

$259 for a baseball glove? I can't be the only person who thinks that's nuts.

ChrisLong likes this.
  11. DanOregon

What's really amazing is you can get a decent bicycle for under $300.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted