1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jim Belushi, Lou Gossett Jr. AND Rae Dawn Chong ... no idea how this didn't win Best Picture.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

-- More time has passed since the debut of The Simpsons (1989) till now than had passed from JFK's assassination till the debut of The Simpsons.

-- The fact that our daughter now is older than my wife was when I met her. And we both were well past college age. (At least our daughter is single and without a significant other for now, so we won't be facing the Gramps and Granny thing soon.)

-- And yeah, my knees.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My daughter turns 32 today.

And yeah, my knees still hurt like hell

exmediahack likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Elon Musk is selling a flamethrower that teenagers will probably use to get into trouble.

When I was a teenager, the most obnoxious weapon that we could ahold of was Jovan Musk.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'll see your Jovan Musk and raise you a Hai Karate.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nothing beat Brut by Fabrege.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My high school was used as the "good" school for that movie. It was built in 1973. I was a member of the first graduating class.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Yeah, if they can get hold of one. They listed for $500 when Musk first put them on his web site. They've shipped the first thousand or so, and they're on Ebay for two or three grand. Out of the price range of most teenagers.

You can make one pretty cheap if you have access to a few tools and are good with your hands... but you really don't want to screw one up. I knew too many kids in high school who got hurt fooling around with iodine and ammonia crystals, or sodium and a pan of water, or making home-made thermite, to be easy in my mind about that.

9. Neutral Corner

For a time, the Rams cheerleaders were known as the "Embraceable Ewes". Not kidding.

Can you imagine if they tried that one today? Hoo-boy.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I remember that, and having never heard different (because I wasn't exactly paying attention to such things), I assumed they still were. Apparently they're not, huh?

11. Neutral Corner

Well, I have not seen anyone raising hell about it over the last couple of years, so I assume not.

I'm thinking that in the age of #MeToo, it would be about as welcome as a statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest on the south side of Chicago.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Reminded of the time I got down to field level at a Raiders game in Oakland. There's a special place in sports heaven for the inventors of Spandex and the wonderbra.

Draft saved Draft deleted