1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that make you feel old

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She's good. She's torn but won't admit it. She's back at work. She'd like to be with the kids, but she's also very career-oriented. There are some conflicting feelings there.
    For the time being, we're still better off financially paying for daycare, but finances are not the only factor to consider.
    We'll see how things develop.
    But she's good and the kids are good.

I'm the one being ground down into a fine paste.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is true. Once you've fucked your life up by having one, you might as well have more to improve your odds of one of them being successful enough to make up for your lack of a retirement plan.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The adjustment is easier to the second one but simple things such as going out have become that much harder.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In my experience, it's only harder when I'm by myself and outnumbered.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

One of my best friends, who also is 65, has a 5-year-old. He wears a T-shirt that reads: I'm the Dad

6. albert777

albert777 Active Member

My brother turned 60 this year, and he has a 16-year-old.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I knew a girl in high school whose dad was 72 when we were freshmen. She was the product of a second marriage. She had a half-brother from her dad's first marriage who was 5 years older than her mom.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I like to think that I skipped my first, failed marriage and moved straight to my second marriage.

FileNotFound likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'll be 58 when my daughter is 16. Although I'm hoping she'll stick at 5 or so.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

All of these timelines are interesting. I don't feel like an old dad -- only 37 when the youngest was born -- but at almost 3 he's killing me and I don't know how I ever did it with any of them. Feel like age plays a role. Props to you that are even beyond that and say it makes you feel younger!

One interesting thing on our spread, four that are 10 years apart from first to last, is if we stay at our elementary school the whole time we will be there as a family for 16 straight years. This year will be No. 8. By the time my youngest is in kindergarten I can only imagine how different I will be and how differently I'll feel about it all since the first was there. It's a pretty select club with multiple kids and that spread at school. Most have a couple and they are close together and move past it all quickly.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I was a couple months short of 40 when our youngest was born and we have always been the oldest parents on her soccer team.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Was just 35 when my daughter was born, but it's the eight-year gap between her and her older brother that's killing me. I have yet to find the activity that a 14 year old and a 6 year old both enjoy for more than 15 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted